Sci fi season on BBC Radio 4

sf in the various audio media, from The Shadow to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy to the Harry Potter audio books to Dark Shadows, Return to Collinwood.

Moderator: Moderators

Sci fi season on BBC Radio 4

Postby HAL Jr » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:12 pm

For those of you who are in the UK or if you can recieve it abroad there is a season of science fiction stories to be broadcasted on the radio. I'm not 100% sure when it starts but will look it up on their site.(anyone else heard about this?)
Would you like a stress pill Dave?
HAL Jr

Re: Sci fi season on BBC Radio 4

Postby admin » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:25 am

I've always like sf radio, ever since as a child I listened to X Minus One and Dimension X, two American radio serieses which adapted stories by Heinlein, Asimov, Sheckley, and other major sf writers. Then, of course, there is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which began on radio and became famous in other media. The first twelve radio shows are the best. And I love The Goon Show, many episodes of which are available from amazon.uk.
admin
Site Admin

Postby HAL Jr » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:13 am

Funny thing is I find stuff on the radio or audio book hard to grasp! I can read it or watch it but not listen to it. I don't have a radio either,that doesn't help,lol
HAL Jr

Postby admin » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:43 am

Listening to radio on the radio! Ha, ha! The very idea!
admin
Site Admin

Postby HAL Jr » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:03 am

I don't know why but I find audio stuff hard to listen to. I can get engrossed in a book or a film but put on an audio bookand my mind drifts and my hands need something to do. How did they do it in the past when they had no TV? I guess back then people would be tired from a hard day's work and would fall asleep at the wireless
HAL Jr

Postby admin » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:55 am

I remember radio days. We would all sit in the living room, and listen to Edger Bergan and Charlie McCarthy and Fibber McGee and Molly, just as people used to gather to watch television, before television became so cheap that everyone had their own tv, and that last activity for the whole family vanished. On Saturday, I was the only one to listen to programs such as Hopalong Cassedy, Tarzan, and (scared the bejesus out of me) Inner Sanctum. My parents preferred comedy. We didn't get a tv set until 1956, when my dad bought a big, black & white tv to watch the boxing.

Today, the only time I listen to radio is in the car, but it sure does make the miles fly by. I have an mp3 player, which will hold about fifty radio shows on one disk that costs about three dollars from www.otr.com

Best,
Rick
admin
Site Admin

Return to sf aloud