Android Novel - Late 60's-Early 70's

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

Android Novel - Late 60's-Early 70's

Postby kirchan57 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:51 pm

I first posted this question at the Amazon Science Fiction community, but received no responses.

This book was in my junior high school library - somewhat racy at the time for android nudity and implied sexual relations with a human female. I can't think of the title or author. May be on the pulp side of writing - but it had some intriguing premises. A future American society has determined scientifically that certain psychological characteristics lead to murder. Therefore all people found by scanning to have these psychological patterns -at any age- are publicly put to death for the good of society.The public sits in a theater to watch as the condemned are strapped into electric chairs and killed. The founders of this policy exempted their own families.

One elder starts to eliminate the others secretly. The central computer complex-which has achieved a high level of sentience- creates an android armed with a hidden laser in his mouth to act independently as an agent of justice. Presumably, the computer itself is prevented from independent action by its programming. The computer intends the human-appearing android to find out who is behind the chaos. At first, he is unaware of what he is. The killer manipulates the android, trying to control him. At one point, the killer causes the android to be designated as a "killer", and he is electrocuted only to be retrieved and repaired by the computer. The human female interest is named Hoyden (her father is the killer). The future cars are little wedges not "great upturned canoes" as some foresaw them. There are moving sidewalks.The father taunts Hoyden for having relations with the android. The only quote I remember is Hoyden: "No, daddy! You'll have to kill me, too." The book's most dramatic moment occurs as the android chases the killer across a shiny copper roof only to see him slip off the edge to his death. Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks.
kirchan57

Re: Android Novel - Late 60's-Early 70's

Postby admin » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:17 am

Might be Android Avenger by Ted White. I haven't read it, so I can't be sure.
admin
Site Admin

Postby kirchan57 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:39 pm

I found a cheap copy on Amazon and I'll check it out.
Thanks.
kirchan57

Postby kirchan57 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:56 pm

As Coldilocks- the little Slobbovian girl in Li'l Abner- said, "Exoctl!" It is Android Avenger. The older cover threw me off as well as the sketchy description on Amazon. I am enjoying reading it again. Thanks for the help!
---Kirby
kirchan57

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.