Sandman withdrawal symptoms

My current favorite fantasy comic book is Girl Genius, by Phil Foglio. What's yours?

Moderator: Moderators

Sandman withdrawal symptoms

Postby Brightonian » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:38 pm

I've now read Neil Gaiman's Sandman 1 - 10, plus the two Death spinoffs, plus Endless Nights. Suddenly my life seems bereft of purpose. Where can I go next?
Brightonian

Re: Sandman withdrawal symptoms

Postby admin » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:35 am

In comics, there is very little that is as good as Sandman, but I'm enjoying the adaptation of Ender's Game to comics. There is a new Girl Genius graphic novel just out. (Girl Genius, as you know, won the graphic novel Hugo Award.) There is a very strange comic book called Galmourpuss by Dave Sim, but you probably should not read that unless you are on the proper medication. There is a science fiction comic from Bone creator Jeff Smith called Rasl.

And there are always classic comic strip reprints. There's a new Doonesbury book out in October, new Complete Peanuts and Complete Little Orphan Annie books, new Modesty Blaise reprint, and my own Comics Revue Presents, with a Flash Gordon story by Harry Harrison.

But the short answer to your question is, no, there aren't any new comics as good as Sandman.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Brightonian » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:49 am

Read the first Modest Blaise collection at my local public library yesterday. Learned two interesting facts: Willy Garvin was modelled on an up-and-coming young actor called Michael Caine; and Modesty chose the name Blaise as a reference to Merlin's tutor, presumably in honour of the elderly professor she had adopted in the refugee camp. Rather as Kim adopted the Lama and protected him from the wicked ways of the world. Oh and a third interesting fact: Peter O'Donnell also created a character called Garth, who I remember from a long-running strip in the Daily Mirror in my childhood but now seems to be forgotten except by the sad obsessives who compile Wikipedia articles.
Brightonian

Postby admin » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:15 am

I may be obsessive, but don't call me sad.
admin
Site Admin

Return to SF in Comics