SciFi love story

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

SciFi love story

Postby audiews » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:42 pm

I read this story in the '70s. I think it was in an anthology of different authors. The story was set in a future with a corrupt government that sentenced opposition to be imprisoned in suspended animation for long period of time. When the character was released he figured all friends and
family including his wife were long dead. When he returned to his house it still looked the same. It turned out his wife had become a stewardess on
interstellar space flights. Because they traveled at or near the speed of light she didn't age as fast and was still living.
audiews

Postby Stinky93 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:09 pm

That sounds very close to The Door Into Summer by Robert Heinlein.

I could be wrong though, I read the book ages ago.

Here's a brief paragraph from another website:

Dan Davis is a talented engineer whose invention, a household robotic appliance, promises a bright future for him and everyone else. Until, that is, his beautiful fiancee tricks his partner into helping her dispose of Dan. Waking up 30 years later from suspended animation, Dan finds out that time travel is possible. Revenge is a dish best served cold... if at all.
Stinky93

Postby admin » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:27 am

The character in Door into Summer doesn't have a wife, falls for a little girl who, during his deep sleep, has grown up into a beautiful woman. The girl who flies near the speed of light to stand by her man is the surprise ending of a Hugo winning sf novel. I won't mention which since is is supposed to be a surprise. I also won't tell you what "Rosebud" means.
admin
Site Admin

Re: SciFi love story

Postby audiews » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:04 pm

I finally found out the name and author of the story. I found the book at a used book store.
audiews

Postby slaven41 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:39 pm

Well? Don't leave us in suspense here!
"It's only Neutron. We call him that because he's so positive." --from This Island Earth
slaven41

Postby audiews » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:25 pm

It's a story from an anthology called A Sea Of Space from 1970 edited by William F. Nolan. The story is " One Love Have I " written by Robert F. Young.
audiews

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.