long dead alien race w/ships that have random teleport

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

long dead alien race w/ships that have random teleport

Postby abutler76 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:11 pm

hello!

i read a book in my childhood, that was possibly from a series. it was set in the future where the remnants of an ancient alien race had been found, scattered all over the universe. in particular, humans had found these alien ships that had these instant transportation abilities. the only problem was, we didn't really know how they worked. so you sort of pressed a button and were instantly transported to some point in the universe. it was seen as very risky, because you might transport to someplace really far away and never be able to return. but there was also the possibility of transporting to a place where lots of alien artifacts could be found, so you could return and become very rich.

that's sort of all i remember. i've thought about the books a lot over the years, but just could not remember who the author was or what the book(s) were called.

thanks for your help! : )
abutler76

Re: long dead alien race w/ships that have random teleport

Postby admin » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:13 am

The book you are looking for is Gateway by Frederik Pohl. It won both the Hugo and Nebula. There were several sequels.
admin
Site Admin

Postby abutler76 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:37 am

perfect! thank you... : )
abutler76

Postby slaven41 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:40 pm

admin wrote:The book you are looking for is Gateway by Frederik Pohl. It won both the Hugo and Nebula. There were several sequels.

Darn it! I KNEW this one!

--Dave
"It's only Neutron. We call him that because he's so positive." --from This Island Earth
slaven41

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.