Jewish origins of comics

My current favorite fantasy comic book is Girl Genius, by Phil Foglio. What's yours?

Moderator: Moderators

Jewish origins of comics

Postby Brightonian » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:17 pm

Just been to a fascinating exhibition at the Jewish Museum in Berlin, showing how strip cartoons and super-hero comic books were pioneered by Jewish immigrants in the US in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, starting with the likes of the Katzenjammer kids. Of course I knew about Jerry Siegel, Joe Shuster and Will Eisner, but I never realised how many of the Golden Age greats were from Jewish immigrant families: Bob Kane (Robert Kahn), Jack Kirby (Jacob Kurtzberg) and Stan Lee himself (Stanley Martin Lieber). Well worth a visit if you happen to find yourself in the neighbourhood.
Brightonian

Re: Jewish origins of comics

Postby admin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:24 am

Another comics great was honored at a New York museum several years ago, maybe the same one you visited. I was wandering around NY on a vacation and stumbled upon a Jules Fiffer exhibit. It not only had his work with Eisner on the Spirit, but also showed a couple of short films, Munro was one, I remember, and had lots of his work for the Village Voice on display. Great artist.
admin
Site Admin

Return to SF in Comics