Any horror readers?

At a reader's suggestion, this new forum is open to all kinds of chat, excluding obvious spam.

Any horror readers?

Postby HAL Jr » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:29 pm

We have a seperate section for fantasy but what about horror? Do many of our members read that henre at all? I have a large Poe omnibus, a few James Herbert and Stephen King novels etc and also have downloaded quite a bit from Project Gutenberg for my new e-reader (Le Fanu, Lovecraft, Hodgson etc) and am keen to discover more- I particularly enjoy gothic horror and don't really have time for gore-fest horror-which to me isn't horror at all!
Would you like a stress pill Dave?
HAL Jr

Re: Any horror readers?

Postby admin » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:53 pm

Horror has never appealed to me. Maybe I'm hard to scare, but I do not remember ever being scared by a book or movie. The Exorcist came close, but what I felt was more disgust than fear. Movies can make me jump, but they can't really scare me, and books even less. I've read the horror classics, Frankenstein, Dracula, The Werewolf of London, The Castle of Otranto, and I've watched all the Universal horror movies, but with more interest than fear.
admin
Site Admin

Postby HAL Jr » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:05 pm

Paranormal Activity was one of the few films of recent times that did give me the willies! Good stuff!
HAL Jr

Postby Cici1986 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:05 am

Well, Stephan King, Bram Stokers Dracula and a few others but in general I am not a big horror fan.. I dont mind it if there is a strong sci-fi/fantasy element as well and alway like suggestions for new reading :)
Cici1986

Postby HAL Jr » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:07 am

Cici1986 wrote:Well, Stephan King, Bram Stokers Dracula and a few others but in general I am not a big horror fan.. I dont mind it if there is a strong sci-fi/fantasy element as well and alway like suggestions for new reading :)

Try F. Paul Wilson's The Keep!
HAL Jr

Postby admin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:06 am

We read for the same reason we do everything else, to feel good or to escape boredom. I don't know why, but in me the fear reaction is turned way down. I guess that's a good thing. I resonate to the story of The Boy Who Couldn't Shudder. I don't feel horror.

When I was a little kid, I was scared a lot. When there was a scary scene in a movie, I would go out into the atrium and peek through the curtains -- this was back in the day when theaters had curtains. But as an adult, I've seldom been frightened, and almost never by a movie or book. The Exorcist came close.

So, I don't mind horror tropes in adventure movies or novels, but the kind of book or movie where, for example, the characters are killed off one by one, and nothing they can do can save them -- not my cup of tea.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Stinky93 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:55 pm

Dang. Where's the horror love around here?
I'm a horror reader. I can recommend some good ones.

Carrion Comfort - Dan Simmons - Not scary, just a really well written and enjoyable book.
Summer of Night - Dan Simmons
The Throat - Peter Straub
Steven King obviously. My favorites are Pet Sematary, Salem's Lot, The Stand, and just about anything he did in the seventies and eighties. For my money, the best story teller out there.
The Wolf's Hour - Robert McCammon - I loved this one. Not sure why it wasn't a bigger hit.
Stinger - Robert McCammon -
Swan Song - Robert McCammon again. What's not to like about a good apocalypse?

There are a few out there that really make the hairs on my neck stand up. Can't think of them at the moment.
Stinky93

Return to Chat