Homo in excelsis?

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

Homo in excelsis?

Postby Terry » Fri May 27, 2011 5:46 pm

Does anyone recall the title of a novel--from the 1970s or 1980s most likely, but maybe a little earlier or later--that ends in the words "Homo in excelsis!"? It is quite conceivable that the novel ending in these words is the same novel whose title or author I asked about (and am still asking about!) in the question that I posted on this site on May 11. Any help would be appreciated.

Terry
Terry

Re: Homo in excelsis?

Postby Hellblazer286 » Fri May 27, 2011 8:12 pm

I think it might be Sentinels From Space by Eric Frank Russell
Hellblazer286

Re: Homo in excelsis?

Postby Terry » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:39 pm

Thank you, friend; the words "Homo in excelsis!" are, indeed, the last words in Russel's SENTINELS FROM SPACE, published in the 1950s. Your "think it might be" was dead on! Unfortunately, I myself was not at all dead on when I said that these three words quite possibly belonged to the novel whose title and author I queried in my forum posting of May 11. These words do not belong to that novel: that novel's title and author still elude me. What I have done, and what kind individuals like you have helped me to understand that I have done, is to confound three novels, each of which--though unique--shares numerous elements with the other two. Of the three novels, I myself first sorted out the first one, MacDonald's BALLROOM OF THE SKIES (1950s); you, friend, have now sorted out the second one, Russell's SENTINELS FROM SPACE (also 1950s); only the third novel now remains to be identified by title and author. Though, in my posting of May 11, I describe that novel as probably dating to the 1980s or 1990s, maybe it--like these other two novels--actually dates as early as the 1950s. But whatever the third novel's date, the novel's plot-details as I provide them in my posting of May 11 are correct; perhaps they will yet strike a familiar chord with someone.

Terry (with fingers still crossed)
Terry

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.