title of story, authors name appreciated

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

title of story, authors name appreciated

Postby alan202 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:44 pm

The person who saved the earth ships last words were "I'm a politician", or "I'm a public servant" or "I'm an elected official", something akin to that.

Anyhow, an earth based exploration ship was nosing about in an odd corner of space, when it was attacked by some "bad guys". The earth ship was getting the worst of things, when over the horizon cam a strange vessel, weapons blazing, driving home a flank attack on the bad guys. This allowed the earth ship to recover and counter attack, driving off the enemy.

The two ships docked together, the pilot of the rescuer doing a few minor repairs to his vessel. Conversations followed, the earthmen inquiring who their "helper" was, where he came from, what he did there, what their women looked like, and by the way thanks for the assist, that sort of thing.

The stranger said that the earthmen were making more of his action than it was really worth, and in any case, the stranger was imply doing what would be expected of someone of his class. When the earthmen asked who/what sort of person he was, the stranger said, as he climbed into his vessel, "I'm a politician" or see above characterizations, and this is the sort of action expected of an individual such as myself.

That's all I remember of the story. Anyone here got a better memory?

Thanks.

Alan202
alan202

Re: title of story, authors name appreciated

Postby admin » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:31 am

I have not read it, but your description makes me want to read it. I hope someone here can tell us the title and/or author.
admin
Site Admin

Postby alan202 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:15 am

I thought that my inquiry, couched as it was, would elicit a response.

While yours is less than I had hoped for, not a criticism, the info I left could well be inadequate, it is something, and perhaps will serve to jog someones memory.

Thanks.

Alan
alan202

Postby admin » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:14 pm

I think anyone who has read the story will recognise it from your description.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.