How should students address faculty?

At a reader's suggestion, this new forum is open to all kinds of chat, excluding obvious spam.

How should students address faculty?

Postby Brightonian » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:02 am

Those of you here who are "professors", what do your students call you and what do you prefer them to call you?

I'm currently involved in a Facebook discussion of this topic; in the UK it's quite normal for students to address faculty by their first name, but it seems some US colleagues have issues with this. I guess you guys are just that much more status-conscious than us Brits?
Brightonian

Re: How should students address faculty?

Postby slaven41 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:28 am

I don't actually tell my students what to call me, and I get a whole mix of "Dave," "Mr. Slaven," "Dr. Slaven," and just "Slaven." I once had a student tell me I looked just like his dad, and he started calling me "Dad," but I drew the line there. :-)

It probably varies some from place to place. I teach at a small college of about 1200-1300 students.

When I was a student, I mostly called my professors by "Dr." (assuming they had a Ph.D.) But of course, this was a long time ago. (The 80's.)
"It's only Neutron. We call him that because he's so positive." --from This Island Earth
slaven41

Postby admin » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:41 am

I tell students to call faculty "Professor", but the guy in the office next to mine tells his students to call him "Old Bob". I'm relatively informal in the classroom, and I used to tell students to call me Rick. Even today, if they do, I don't correct them. I guess I've come to like just a little extra formality.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Brightonian » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:19 pm

slaven41 wrote:When I was a student, I mostly called my professors by "Dr." (assuming they had a Ph.D.) But of course, this was a long time ago. (The 80's.)

My undergrad days were even longer ago than that, and at Cambridge, and calling faculty by their first name would have been unthinkable. It was always Dr or Professor X.
Brightonian

Return to Chat