What makes fantasy?

At last, the crows get another meal

Moderators: SoulThief, Moderators

What makes fantasy?

Postby admin » Tue May 28, 2013 7:20 am

TV and movie fantasy these days is almost entirely fairy tales or monsters. The big exception, and the most talked about though not the most watched tv fantasy is Game of Thrones. But it does not have much fantasy in it. The same is true about the new big fantasy novel by Guy Gavriel Kay, River of Stars. The Hobbit, which was high fantasy, got some pretty devistating reviews. And World of Warcraft has lost two million players in the last two years. Has high fantasy gone out of style?
admin
Site Admin

Re: What makes fantasy?

Postby Brightonian » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:32 pm

I didn't see The Hobbit, though a friend whose judgment I trust said it was pretty awful. But unlike LoTR, I wouldn't have thought Tolkien's original book was intended as "high fantasy", more on the level of a folk tale.
Brightonian

Postby admin » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:10 am

I don't think The Hobbit was "awful". Just disappointing compared to the really great Return of the King. And while the book starts off as a folk tale, by the end we have strong hints of the underlying high fantasy that would follow, in The Lord of the Rings. The movie emphasizes the high fantasy over the folk tale aspects.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Biorider » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:48 am

Fantasy, unlike sci-fi, doesn't require a plausible explanation on the mechanisms by which certain physical laws are broken. You just see the supernatural things happen. Even Game of Thrones is like that.
Biorider

Return to Fantasy