Students go undercover on an alien world. A test.

This is the place to ask about that story you remember so well -- but can't remember the title and author.

Moderator: Moderators

Students go undercover on an alien world. A test.

Postby kirchan57 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:23 am

A youth novel from the 1970's. Two Earth guys and a girl are space/science academy students. Earth is just developing a star drive engine. They are chosen for a planet survey mission as guests of an advanced alien group. They are disguised as members of one of three native races and accompanied by an alien guide who is disguised as a humble "pet" being called a Bundii. He is a member of an Earth religious sect that promotes intergalactic peace and harmony - he is trying to tame his temper. One other race on the planet is a shark-like humanoid. They have also developed the same technology but do not realize it is a star drive. They think it is only a killing device. The test is whether the humans will reveal that it is a star drive machine to the "sharks" who are a less advanced, warlike race. They do not, and humans are welcomed into the alien community as fellow members of the civilized worlds. Whazis?
kirchan57

Re: Students go undercover on an alien world. A test.

Postby kirchan57 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:42 am

Addenda: If I could just spot the book cover, I think I would recognize it. It was a monochromatic color scheme in shades of blue as I recall. There is a picture of the star drive machine over a tank with sharks swimming in it. Several scientists are about the scene.
kirchan57

Postby admin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:16 am

Sounds interesting, but I haven't read it. It's a little like Brin's Uplift War series, but I don't think it is in that series. If you liked that one, you might try Brin.
admin
Site Admin

Postby kirchan57 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:26 am

Another note addition: I believe the Earth sect mentioned above are called Taylorites and wear a characteristic robed attire.
kirchan57

Postby admin » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:57 am

There actually is a sect called the Taylorites. And, in the Planet of the Apes series, followers of the Charleston Heston character are called Taylorites. But I doubt either of those are the Taylorites you are looking for.
admin
Site Admin

Postby kirchan57 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:31 pm

Thanks for all your help. I have gotten a definitive answer on sffchronicles.co.uk from a fellow in Belgium. It is Space Winners by Gordon R. Dickson (1965). The book cover he pointed to was at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Space-Winners-G ... 0733998727 It is familiar to me even though it is not as I described it.
kirchan57

Postby kirchan57 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:39 pm

Boy, does time and memory play tricks on you. But I have enjoyed re-reading this young people's story from Gordon Dickson(even though he has an error about Hawaii). It is multi-layered and introduces a number of concepts later picked up in broadcast Sci-Fi shows. The rodent-like fellow is from a heavy-gravity world and is much stronger than he looks. His Neo-Taylorite sect does not really mention religion, but it is supposed to be peaceful and about doing good. One of the young male humans is an "Archaist" who emphasizes Earth history and desires to learn all about the aliens in hope of defeating them in the future. The young woman is a thoughtful socio-anthropologist. The protagonist male human is a logic minded tech guy. They are stranded on a less developed alien world by an apparent spaceship malfunction. The three races of the planet Quebahr are the humanoid craftsmen Maureg, the physically tough kangaroo-like Walat, and the scientifically minded lizard Noif(not sharks!). Many of these ideas were played out in the Andromeda series. The alien federation follows a Star Trek-like "Prime Directive" although it is not formally stated. They see the value in allowing cultures to discover and learn things for themselves rather than by receiving gifts as if "from the gods". Interesting.
kirchan57

Return to Can you tell me the name of this story.