Obituary: Ken Moore

Southern fan Ken Moore died on June 30. Moore won the Rebel Award in 1974, co-chaired DeepSouthCon in 1986, was a DSC guest of honor in 1991, and chaired the con in 1995. Moore founded Kubla Khan in Nashville and was an avid collector of SF art. Moore has also been the guest at Concave, which was begun in part as an offshoot of an idea Moore had to make UpperSouthClave a traveling convention.

1. Jane Frank — July 1, 2009 @ 6:39 pm

As a long time fellow art lover and collector, I am very sad to hear of “Khen’s” death – whenever we spoke, he would laugh, recalling my observation to him about 15 years ago at a Worldcon, that he was a guy who was “sartorially challenged” That comment really tickled him ;-) He was a “one of a kind” fan…and a true lover of vintage SF art. If anyone out there has information regarding his family, to send condolences, please get in touch with me at wowart@wow-art.com.

2. Krisha — July 4, 2009 @ 2:04 am

Growing up in fandom, Ken was “uncle” to me. I will miss him greatly.

3. Carol Donaldson — July 4, 2009 @ 11:51 am

Ken had no immediate family – except all of fandom. http://tinyurl.com/KhenMoore

4. Beth Gwinn — July 5, 2009 @ 9:38 am

Sorry to hear of his passing. I had heard he was in pain and not doing well for quite some time. He will be missed. He was a character of the science fiction fan group here in the south. To say the least a unique person.

5. Chris Offutt — July 5, 2009 @ 6:31 pm

As a child I accompanied my parents to many cons. I met Ken at the first con I attended, in the early 70s. Over the years, whenever I remember those cons, I think of Ken Moore. He was the most dynamic person I knew. In an environment that had few kids (and little interest in them) Ken was invariably warm, friendly, funny and kind. He was always willing to give my siblings and me attention. It meant a lot. I miss him.

6. Steve Melton — July 25, 2009 @ 1:34 am

To those who knew Ken, there will be several wake parties at OutsideCon 22 amongst those who knew he best. Google for information. Held Sept. 11-13 at Montgomery Bell State Park, Tenn. It’s the best relaxacon in the U.S. Come and share your Ken stories.

7. Michael Short — December 15, 2009 @ 6:46 pm

Just found out about Ken’s passing and am so sorry. Ken bought a number of aviation paintings from me and we had many telephone conversations about art and aircraft. He would usually call while sipping on some drink – I could hear the tinkling of the ice – I would be at the easel painting. His knowledge on art was great and it was clear that his understanding of the subject came because of a deep passion. I will never forget him – What a great guy!