Obituary: Hal Haag

Baltimore fan Hal Haag (b.1946) died on August 12. Haag chaired Balticons 25 and 35 and was widely known as Balticon’s Gaming Czar. Haag sat on the Baltimore Science Fiction Society Board of Directors as well as an officer of the Maryland Games Club. Haag was quick to teach new board or card games anywhere he went and was the instigator of the 1998 Worldcon, Bucconeer.

1. Steve Fitchett — August 13, 2009 @ 9:00 am

Hal was a good guy. He taught me several new games at the time and was always glad to do it. He will be missed.

2. Tamy — August 13, 2009 @ 10:52 am

He was a great guy and will long be remembered for his charm and his copious amounts of love for all games, big or small. His smile always lit up a room!

3. Mark Geary — August 13, 2009 @ 5:56 pm

I knew Hal fairly well back in the day, and helped with the gaming program for several years. Hal and I butted heads more than once, but Hal was a genuinely funny man who I liked, and I think both Balticon and the community is diminished in his passing.

4. Yasha — November 19, 2009 @ 9:19 am

I worked with Hal in NJ. managing a screwy IT client on a weird Security project. He turned me on the Harry Turtledove series and Adjusted / Alternate History Science Fiction. In short he rekindled my Science Fiction reading interests. Now every time I order a new book from SFBC.com I stop for a second and remember him tossing the “Guns of the South” on my desk to read.

Thanks Hal.

5. sean lang — December 21, 2009 @ 10:38 pm

I knew Hal and his son for years back when I use to hang at BSFS on Saturdays for gaming. Damn good man. Shared a room with him a few times. I remember when we had a party in the room while he was attending another party. We thought he be pissed at the number of people. He sat down and had some of Doug’s brandy and told stories of yester year to us kiddies. Good peeps…

6. Ray Ridenour — February 18, 2010 @ 3:09 pm

I just found out about Hal’s passing. I’ve had some uniquely humorous and stimulating conversations in the past with him. A truly good person, and always helpful to newbies, panel members, everybody.
    It won’t be the same Balticon this year without him.

7. 4ally Mayer — March 21, 2010 @ 7:25 am

I was very sad to learn of Hal Haag’s passing at Lunacon 2009. I used to love playing Social Claas/ The Great Dalmudi and Fluxx with him and the gang after Art Show closed down. He kept us roaring with laughter with his hilarious tales of his “badder” young days in the Mnavy. We will all miss him in the art shows and at the card tablem

Sally Mayer

8. Robert Owens — June 28, 2010 @ 8:26 am

It is sad to hear that an old acquaintance and gaming friend, Hal Haag, passed last year. I am sorry to hear belatedly of his passing. He was a bright shining star and good member of the community and would strive to do so much to teach others the joy of gaming. I remember many times we played BattleTech over at his house.

He will be missed,