Obituary: Jeanne Robinson

Author Jeanne Robinson (b.1948) died on May 30. Last year, Robinson was diagnosed with a virulent form of biliary cancer which has not responded to treatment. Robinson, the wife of Spider Robinson, co-authored the Stardance novels and won the Nebula and Hugo Awards in 1978 for the original novella, “Stardance.” Robinson has also been a dancer and choreographer. At the time of her death, she was working with James Sposto and David Gerrold to bring Stardance to the screen.

1. Shannon — May 31, 2010 @ 4:42 pm

My condolences to Spider. She was a wonderful woman. She will not be forgotten.

2. Robbo — May 31, 2010 @ 8:13 pm

Hearts and hugs to Spider and family. Jeanne is dancing amongst the stars. Love.

3. Phoenix — May 31, 2010 @ 9:29 pm

Very sad. I’ll keep them in my thoughts.

4. Kathe — May 31, 2010 @ 9:37 pm

Condolences to Spider, Terri, and the rest of Jeanne’s family. She was a blessing. You are in my prayers.

5. Snowboarder Bo — May 31, 2010 @ 10:38 pm

My condolences to Spider and to the family.

6. Rick York — May 31, 2010 @ 10:50 pm

I want to thank Jeanne for the pleasure she gave so may people. Spider, both you and we were blessed.

Condolences

7. Maggie Hanna — June 1, 2010 @ 11:28 am

Sigh….our own particular journeys all end where Jeanne has gone and it not easy for almost everybody involved. Here are some of my favourite quotes that have brought an easing perspective to me in the form of beauty. I hope they are of use to you Spider. All Blessings, M

Death is not extinguishing the light;
    it is putting out the lamp
    because the dawn has come.
    Rabindranath Tagore
    Poet, Philosopher, Nobel Laureate

Mary C. Philpott has written one of the most beautiful pieces of prose which encapsulates this concept.
    I am standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength and I stand and watch her until at length she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and the sky come down to mingle with each other. Then someone at my side says: “There, she’s gone.”
    Gone where? Gone from my sight, that is all. She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side and just as able to bear her load of living freight to the place of destination.
    Her diminished size is in me, not in her, and just at the moment when someone at my side says, “There, she’s gone,” there are other eyes watching her coming and other voices ready to take up the glad shout, “Here she comes.”
    Dying’s part of the wheel, right there next to being born… Being part of the whole thing, that’s the blessing.

- Tuck Everlasting, Natalie Babbitt, 1975

Life was suddenly too sad. And yet it was beautiful. The beauty was dimmed when the sadness welled up. And the beauty would be there again when the sadness went. So the beauty and the sadness belonged together somehow.
    - Dominic, William Steig, 1972

8. Chris Mehs — June 4, 2010 @ 1:56 pm

Oh, I am SO sorry to hear this. I do hope the movie comes to pass.

Here’s a poem that helped me a lot when my own mother died (also from cancer):

Death is before me today
    Like the recovery of a sick man,
    Like the going forth into a garden after sickness

Death is before me today
    Like the odor of myrrh,
    Like sitting under a sail on a windy day.

Death is before me today
    Like the course of the freshet,
    Like the return of a man from the war-galley to his house.

Death is before me today
    As a man longs to see his house
    When he has spent years in captivity.

– Pyramid Texts (3000 BC)

9. Nadine Parsons — June 16, 2010 @ 11:53 am

It was a pleasure being part of her family and she will be missed soooo very much. She is now shining bright in the sky as she did on stage.