Joanna Russ in Hospice

Samuel R. Delany via Ron Drummond reports that Joanna Russ, the author of The Female Man and What Are We Fighting For?: Sex, Race, Class, and the Future of Feminism, among many other works of science fiction and scholarship, has been admitted to hospice after suffering a series of strokes. According to Drummond, Delany says that Russ is “slipping away” and has long had a “Do Not Resuscitate” on file.

1. Wordweaverlynn — April 28, 2011 @ 2:17 am

I am so very sorry to hear this. Her work means a great deal to me.

2. Joanna Russ in Hospice Following Strokes | Dynamic Subspace — April 28, 2011 @ 10:32 am

[...] By email to the feministsf email list, Ide Cyan shared a link to SF Site’s short report: Joanna Russ in Hospice. Apparently, she has endured “a series of strokes” and she is now in hospice [...]

3. Alexandra — April 28, 2011 @ 10:54 am

Heartbreaking, she was one of the first that brought me into the SF fold!

4. Tomàs — April 28, 2011 @ 11:46 pm

Don’t worry. Her work will not be lost.

5. April 29, 2011 Links and Plugs : Hobbies and Rides — April 29, 2011 @ 6:29 am

[...] Joanna Russ in Hospice. [...]

6. Tim Standish — April 29, 2011 @ 9:00 am

I remember reading her works and was awed by her talent. Truly a talented lady.

7. Starshadow — April 29, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

I will miss her, having met and chatted with her on a number of occasions when she lived in Seattle. She was a fine person, and always supportive of the lesbian community. She was a brilliant writer, as well, but it is Joanna I will miss and remember fondly. Safe journey, sister.

8. Amy Thomson — April 29, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

I called the hospice, and spoke to someone there. They told me that Joanna died around 7 AM this morning. She was amazing, and the world is diminished by her absence.

9. Steven H Silver — April 29, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

Amy, thank you for letting me know. I’m very sorry to hear the news.

10. The Outer Alliance » Outer Alliance Spotlight #74: We Say Gay — April 29, 2011 @ 8:56 pm

[...] Russ has died. After she was admitted into hospice care earlier this week, today we learn that one of the best beloved feminist SF writers has left us. [...]

11. Alan Ziebarth — April 30, 2011 @ 11:54 am

Brilliant writer, brilliant critic. What a loss.