Former DC Comics vice president Jack Adler (b.1918) died on September 18. Adler worked at DC Comics from 1946 through 1981 and in 1971 won the Shazam Award for Best Colorist. He also served as DC’s production manager and vice president of production.
British amateur Astronomer Nick Howes is leading a search to find Snoopy, the lunar module used by the Apollo 10 crew to fly within 8.5 miles of the lunar surface. Following the mission, the module was jettisoned into a solar orbit while the crew returned to Earth in the command module, Charlie Brown.
Connie Willis has won the 2011 Robert A. Heinlein Award, presented for outstanding published works in science fiction and technical writings to inspire the human exploration of space. The award is given out by a committee headed by Dr. Yoji Kondo with the logistical support of the Baltimore Science Fiction Society.
The nominees for the WSFA Small Press Awards have been announced. Given out by the Washington Science Fiction Association. The short list was determined by a jury which read the stories with all identifying marks removed. The winners are selected by the members the Washington Science Fiction Association and will be announced at Capclave the weekend of October 14-16.
- “After the Dragon,” by Sarah Monette, published in Fantasy Magazine (January 2010), edited by Cat Rambo and Sean Wallace.
- “Amaryllis,” by Carrie Vaughn, published in Lightspeed Magazine (June 2010), edited by John Joseph Adams.
- “The Cassandra Project,” by Jack McDevitt, published in Lightspeed Magazine (June 2010), edited by John Joseph Adams,
- “The Days of Flaming Motorcycles,” by Catherynne M. Valente, published in Dark Faith, edited by Maurice Broaddus and Jerry Gordon, Apex Book Co. (May 2010).
- “Enid and the Prince,” by RJ Astruc, published in Worlds Next Door, edited by Tehani Wessely, FableCroft Publishing (June 2010).
- “Lord Bai’s Discovery,” by Jean Marie Ward, published in Dragon’s Lure, edited by Danielle Ackley-McPhail, Jennifer Ross, and Jeffrey Lyman, Dark Quest Books (June 2010).
Despite a large number of nominations, science fiction and fantasy related shows did not do particularly well at this year’s Emmy Awards. The two categories which had winners of genre interest are shown below.
- Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series: The Big Bang Theory, Jim Parsons as Sheldon Cooper
- Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: Game of Thrones, Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister
Model maker Richard Datin (b.1929) died on January 24 in Reno, Nevada. Datin created the original model of the Starship Enterprise and led the team that built the eleven foot model used for Star Trek as well as other models used in the original series. In 1979, Datin left model-making and became the founding curator of the Nevada State Railroad Museum.
The 2011 Sunburst Award winners have been announced. The Sunburst Award for Canadian Literature of the Fantastic is a juried award given to a Canadian writer for a book length work of SF. The prize comes with a hand-crafted medallion and Can$1,000.
- Sunburst Award: Under Heaven, by Guy Gavriel Kay
- Sunburst Young Adult Award: Bookweirder, by Paul Glennon
Harlan Ellison has filed a lawsuit claiming that the upcoming FOX film In Time is a copyright infringement of his Hugo and Nebula Award-winning story “‘Repent, Harlequin!’ Said The Ticktockman.” The lawsuit seeks an injunction to prevent the film’s release and the disposal of all copies of the film.
Author and Dragon*Con founder Ed Kramer was arrested in Milford, CT and charged him with misdemeanor reckless endangerment of a child after he was found staying in a hotel with a fourteen year old boy. Kramer was in violation of the conditions of his bond from a previous arrest on allegations of child molestation, first made in 2000. Kramer’s bond has been revoked and he faces extradition to Georgia.
Barrister Jane Belson died on September 7. Belson married author Douglas Adams in 1991 and their daughter was born in 1994. After Adams’s death, Belson worked to shepherd some of his projects to fruition and had a cameo in the film The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.