Obituary: K. D. Wentworth

Author K. D. Wentworth (b.1951) died on April 18. Wentworth died from complications related to cancer and pneumonia. She was the author of the novels Black on Black, Moonspeaker, and The Imperium Game, as well as several others, including two collaborations with Eric Flint. Wentworth entered the field with a win in the Writers of the Future contest and later went on to become the editor of their book series. She was a multiple Nebula Award nominee and also helped run conventions.

1. Martin L. Shoemaker — April 19, 2012 @ 8:21 am

I never met her, but she wrote some very kind things about one of my stories. And she wrote many inspiring posts, and she managed the biggest contest in science fiction. We have lost a treasure. Rest in Peace, K.D.

2. We Lost One of the Good Ones « A Little Lost — April 19, 2012 @ 9:17 am

[...] Here is a link to where I first saw the news: http://www.sfsite.com/news/2012/04/19/obituary-k-d-wentworth/ [...]

3. Hap Neerev — April 19, 2012 @ 9:30 am

Ms. Wentworth was one of the most astute & penetrating science fiction writers I have ever come across. Any fan of the genre should take the time & read her The House of Moons Chronicles & the books she co-wrote with Eric Flint. She will be missed.
    I know I will be donating in her name to her favorite charity, Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary (1-800-252-6652, iram@gwtc.net, http://www.gwtc.net/~iram/index.html)..

4. RIP: K. D. Wentworth - SF Signal – A Speculative Fiction Blog — April 19, 2012 @ 9:30 am

[...] Scott Cupp and SF Site. Share/Bookmark Related [...]

5. Francis Bruno — April 19, 2012 @ 9:33 am

RIP K.D. Although I never had the pleasure of meeting you, your work running WOTF will never go forgotten.

6. R.I.P. K.D. Wentworth | Francis Bruno's Writing Blog — April 19, 2012 @ 9:41 am

[...] Obituary was posted today. Although I had never met her, I did receive a critique for my Q4 v28 entry, [...]

7. Aliette de Bodard » Blog Archive » … — April 19, 2012 @ 10:00 am

[...] xanthalanari and j_cheney: learnt that KD Wentworth passed away from complications related to cancer and pneumonia. I… um, am pretty much [...]

8. Jeanette Sanders — April 19, 2012 @ 10:42 am

I never met K.D., but I am a fan of the legacy she has left behind. She will be dearly missed. May she rest in peace.

9. Will Thomas — April 19, 2012 @ 11:32 am

She was such a fun person. I enjoyed talking to her at Conestoga and various book events. Tulsa won’t be the same without her.

10. John Arkwright — April 19, 2012 @ 11:46 am

K. D. was sweet and gentle, but was also realistic. I’ll bet the little kids in her elementary school classes all loved her. She was so good to me. I owe her so much.

11. Shane "Ogre" Coble — April 19, 2012 @ 12:57 pm

I was lucky in many way to have known K.D. As a former student, She nurtured my love of Sci-fi and introduced me to the charecter I would gain my nick name from. As an adult, I can proudly call her a friend and worked with her on Conestoga. I will miss her and her writing greatly.

12. Kay Kenyon — April 19, 2012 @ 3:32 pm

I am shocked and saddened. Another voice lost, and will be missed.

13. Titleless post « Cosmic Driftwood — April 19, 2012 @ 7:06 pm

[...] today, I’ve been thinking about K.D. Wentworth. I confess that I’ve never read any of her fiction. I know her solely through her role as [...]

14. Cynthia Murphy — April 19, 2012 @ 7:25 pm

I am very sorry to hear of Kathy’s death. Although we have not seen each other for many years, we were once very good friends. I am very saddened by her loss. She was a very special person and I am proud and happy to have known her.

15. Shirley Sanchez — April 19, 2012 @ 9:22 pm

Heartbroken, not only for myself but for everyone that she touched by her wonderful writing or her enigmatic smile. She was the reason that I kept going to the Science Fiction Conventions, just to see and hear her read.
    Now I will go because l really like this genre, (her influence, of course!) You know, I miss her already. For K.D, is one the Special Ones, She is presently, and definitely will be missed, but always, always, You will be remembered.

16. Carole Nelson Douglas — April 20, 2012 @ 8:31 am

K. D. was one of the first sf/f writers my husband and I met after moving to Texas. She was such a lovely, thoughtful person and dedicated to her writing. Very shocked and sorry to hear she’s no longer in our world.

17. C W Johnson — April 21, 2012 @ 2:57 pm

Kathy and I were in the same Writers of the Future class. I really liked her, and liked her fiction. I hadn’t kept up in the past few years, and am so sorry to hear of her passing. She will be missed, as a writer and as a human being.

18. A Magazine of Many Arts » News — April 22, 2012 @ 8:09 am

[...] sad news is that K. D. Wentworth passed away this week.  I published her story “The Turquoise Horse” in my first [...]

19. Robert H. Woodman — August 27, 2012 @ 4:36 am

I was very saddened to hear of K.D. Wentworth’s death, which I just learned today (August 27, 2012). She was a great writer and will be missed. My condolences and sympathy go to her family.

20. Peggy Woodward — October 11, 2012 @ 7:40 pm

Kathy I knew you when I was a kid, and you educated my child in school. Your writings will live on for generations to come. Missing my friend. Condolences to her family.