Obituary: Nick Pollotta

Author Nick Pollotta (b.1954) died on April 13. Pollotta has recently been diagnosed with cancer. Pollotta’s novels included Bureau 13, Illegal Aliens, and That Darn Squid God, as well as numerous other humorous novels. In addition, he wrote adventure novels under the house names James Axler and Don Pendleton. His “Satellite Night” series was written under the name Jack Hopkins.

1. Eva Whitley — April 13, 2013 @ 5:42 pm

Sorry to hear this. I’m sure our paths crossed at some point, but I know him via Facebook, where he posted a few days ago. It seemed like he was getting better. My sympathy to Melissa, his widow.

2. George Sulea — April 13, 2013 @ 6:00 pm

My sympathies to his Wife Melissa, and my sorrow at his passing. His books were funny and thoroughly enjoyable, and his wit and talent shall be missed.

3. Rebecca Weeks — April 13, 2013 @ 9:28 pm

You will be greatly missed my friend. Perhaps this was God’s novel with a twist for an ending, you were too tough for the cancer but a small virus snuck under the radar. I only stop crying long enough to laugh. TY for you being you and for making sure that you spent your time on this earth with the woman you loved.

4. Kat Hannon — April 14, 2013 @ 12:59 pm

I heard about his passing form a friend – I remember him back from the days when he went by Nick Smith and was part of the Gunderson Corporation – a group that did “Radio Plays” at Science Fictions conventions.

My heart goes out to his wife and family.

5. Dave Thomas — April 15, 2013 @ 2:17 pm

He was a great friend, writer, confidant, comedian… just a great human being all in all I had the pleasure to have known him theses last two years and it was a great honor to have been a part of his life and to have met a person who I wanted to meet ever since I’ve played Bureau 13 & read his books deepest sympathies to his wife Melissa and to all his other friends and families, the written pages are a little more yellow with his passing
    G.B.N.F.

6. Robin Wood — April 17, 2013 @ 4:45 pm

Ah, no. I heard, and was hoping it wasn’t true. I haven’t been to a con in a long time, but was hoping that I’d be able to get back on the road again, and see Nick. We were “buds” for a lot of years. Hugs to Melissa. If there’s anything I can do, Melissa, let me know.

7. David Bernstein — May 5, 2013 @ 8:09 am

I found out about his passing when I went online today to buy one of his books to take with me on vacation. Of the first 12 books I bought for my Kindle, 10 were his. Why? Three words, humor, innovation and excitement. From Illegal Aliens through Bureau 13 through SNN through Deathlands, I have enjoyed his work immensely.

By happenstance, he and I connected a year or two ago through LinkedIn and FaceBook. It was a privilege to dialog directly with an author whose work I enjoyed so much.

I offer my most sincere and heartfelt condolences to his family. May his name be remembered for a blessing and serve as an inspiration to those who knew and loved him.

R.I.P.

8. Seth Bogdanove — May 13, 2013 @ 4:36 pm

Nick and I go way back to a club called “The Grotto” in Allendale, NJ back in the late 70s. I have just now found out about his passing. His updates on Facebook since the beginning of his illness have been so upbeat and positive that I fully expected him to recover. Goodbye, my old friend.

9. Nikki Fier — October 10, 2013 @ 9:18 am

We just found out last nite about Nick’s passing & are truely heart broken. Our deepest sympathies go to his wife & children. He was a good man, I had the pleasure of meeting Nick & his wife at a con where he gave a lecture. I was truely blessed to have shared in his wisdom & knowledge. Tragic loss for all aspiring authors. Your lessons were invaluable. Thank you for sharing your experiences.