Obituary: andrew j. offutt

Author andrew j. offutt (b.1934) died on April 30. Many of his early works were fantasies in the Robert E. Howard style, including the Cormac mac Art series, the War of the Gods on Earth trilogy, and the War of the Wizards trilogy. He also created the character Hanse Shadowspawn for the Thieves’ World shared universe and wrote three novels about the character. In addition to writing Conan novels, he also wrote numerous science fiction novels under his own name and the house name John Cleve and edited the Swords Against Darkness anthology series. He served two terms as President of SFWA. His son is author Christopher Offutt.

1. Guy Lillian — April 30, 2013 @ 4:27 pm

Our deepest, deepest sympathies to Jodie and their family.

2. michaelej — April 30, 2013 @ 5:32 pm

What a loss! Andy was one of the first people I met in fandom. And he gave me my first rejection slip. Such a gem! He said that the only reason he didn’t buy my wonderful story was because the anthology had closed the week before. Gave me a very skewed idea of what rejection slips were like. I’ve saved the story for him.

so, “To the greatest adventure, you go first, Andy!”

3. Patricia Clements — April 30, 2013 @ 6:05 pm

Oh, I am so sorry. I really liked Andy, but have not seen him in many years. Charles is upset too. My love to Jodi (my “sister”) and Scottie, and to the rest of the family.

4. Connie (Price) Trieber — April 30, 2013 @ 6:26 pm

Jodie, thoughts of peace coming your way.
    Andy was a confidant of mine back when I needed one.
    I have been wondering and asking about him . Now I know.
    Peace and love.

5. Reece Morehead — April 30, 2013 @ 7:08 pm

So sad to hear this. What I remember best about him was joking with him at the consuite of the last Kubla, where he was laughing at some of my wife’s jokes, the next-to-last con she attended before her death in 2006. He and Kublas just went together; even though he was at many other conventions, I can’t think of any Kubla where he wasn’t there. He will be greatly missed.

6. Ty Johnston — April 30, 2013 @ 10:03 pm

So sorry to hear about this. I’ve been a fan of Mr. Offutt’s for more than 30 years, and loved all his work. My thoughts and prayers to his family, friends, and fellow fans.

7. NewGuyDave Fortier — April 30, 2013 @ 10:54 pm

My thoughts and prayers to the family and friends. I didn’t know the man, except through his fiction, and in that he was formidable.

8. Ann Morris — May 1, 2013 @ 8:28 am

Dearest Jodie, I am so sorry to learn on Andy’s passing. You know that he has long been dear to me, as you are, and I think the world is a sadder place without him. I am sending my love and good thoughts to you and the rest of your family.

9. Steve Melton — May 3, 2013 @ 10:39 pm

With the passing of Rick Dunning, Bob Tucker, Ken Moore, and now Andy, conventions are just not the same anymore. They were family.

10. Steve Melton — May 3, 2013 @ 10:41 pm

I failed to mention Frank M. Robinson. I miss them all.

11. James Van Hise — May 4, 2013 @ 12:34 am

Frank M. Robinson is still very much alive. He’s 86 but still alive. Some people mistakenly believed he had passed away when his famous pulp collection came up for auction early this year.

12. Reece Morehead — May 4, 2013 @ 1:04 am

As far as I know, Frank M. Robinson is still alive, unless he’s died so recently it hasn’t shown up anywhere. He’s also on Facebook.

13. Ray Jones — May 8, 2013 @ 11:32 am

Andy was a good friend and someone I really enjoyed taking pictures of at conventions. He gave me so many unusual opportunities. I have taken more pictures of Andy than any other pro and I’ve been taking pictures at conventions for 40 years. Andy will be truly missed.