Obituary: Hugh Daniel

Fan Hugh Daniel died on June 3 of an apparent heart attack. Daniel had a strong interest in spaceflight and working in computers, trying to bring the future closer to the present. He worked on Project Xanadu, the first hypertext and helped set up the WELL. His interest in spaceflight led him to briefly work for Starstruck, which built three rockets and successfully launched one suborbitally. He was the fan guest of honor at Windycon 38 in 2011.

1. Chris M. Barkley — June 4, 2013 @ 2:52 pm

He was a great guy and a good friend. I will miss seeing is big friendly mug at cons…RIP, buddy…8-(

2. Hugh Daniel Passes Away | File 770 — June 4, 2013 @ 5:47 pm

[...] Bay Area fan Hugh Daniel passed away June 3 from an apparent heart attack. [...]

3. Sue Lovell — June 5, 2013 @ 10:06 am

Hugh was a great friend and he will be sorely missed. He was the glue that kept many of us in touch. He was “Uncle Hugh” to my now adult son, godfather in charge of computers and spacecraft. I feel fortunate that I spoke with him a few months ago and got the list of books he loved to give to kids.

4. Lynn Gold — June 5, 2013 @ 3:23 pm

I’m still in shock over his sudden death. How did you find out it was a heart attack?

5. Mike Glyer — June 14, 2013 @ 6:50 pm

Just wanted everybody to know I fixed “Hugo” soon after, but I understand that pingbacks don’t update…

6. Steven H Silver — June 14, 2013 @ 11:18 pm

Fixed it for you in the Ping back.

7. Ryan — August 18, 2013 @ 12:07 pm

He was one of my regular contra dance partners when he came through town. Always had fun talking to him. Hadn’t seen him in a long time, then stumbled across this. Very sorry to hear he’s gone — he’ll be missed.

8. bandit, Albuquerque — February 6, 2014 @ 12:44 am

||ugh was unique. I first met him in the early 80′s. I kept saying we needed to get him a t-shirt with a big red button that said “RANT”, with caveats under it (Warning: pushing this button will start a rant. Warning: *thinking* about pushing this button…) Damn…

We shared rooms at cons – there was a Phoenix Westercon with 17 in a room for three… Good times..

Hugh and Eric were working on the e-dome, and needed help. I needed work, but the dot-com destroyed the nerd work gigs, so they hired my to help complete the basic work. They helped my family thru a rough patch.

Hugh was “uncle” to many kids in fandom, including mine. I can still hear his admonishment for doing things right and neatly: “What, were you born on a PLANET???”. I have also stolen his “Doctor Destructo” concept – what a way to teach kids.

I could be in a nerd setting and ask “Do you know Hugh?”, and there was only one Hugh people would think of. He did what he could to make this world a better place. (And a Thanks! to John Gilmore for his support of Hugh..)

I worked at a Virtual Reality start-up, Ono Sendai, in San Francisco in the early 90′s. Hugh was one of two people that had unlimited visiting rights – we christened them “FOOLs”, ie Friends Of Ono’s Lab. One day, I had the Wired with the pictures of the Cypher Punks on the cover. Hugh wasn’t in the picture (deliberately), but we were able to ID everybody in it, despite the masks.

Ah, Hugh. I miss you. *We* miss you.