After cancelling Confluence 25, scheduled to have been held in 2013 due to lack of an hotel, Confluence 2014 will be held the weekend of July 25-27 at the Four Points by Sheraton Pittsburgh North in Mars, Pennsylvania. William H. Keith has been announced as the Guest of Honor with W. Scott Snyder as the featured Filk Guest.
The ballot for this year’s World Fantasy Award has been announced. The winners will be announced at a banquet at the World Fantasy Con held in Brighton, UK the weekend of October 31-November 3, 2013.
- The Killing Moon, by N.K. Jemisin
- Some Kind of Fairy Tale, by Graham Joyce
- The Drowning Girl, by Caitlín R. Kiernan
- Crandolin, by Anna Tambour
- Alif the Unseen, by G. Willow Wilson
- “Hand of Glory,” by Laird Barron
- “Let Maps to Others,” by K.J. Parker
- The Emperor’s Soul, by Brandon Sanderson
- “The Skull,” by Lucius Shepard
- “Sky,” by Kaaron Warren
- “The Telling,” by Gregory Norman Bossert
- “A Natural History of Autumn,” by Jeffrey Ford
- “The Castle That Jack Built,” by Emily Gilman
- “Breaking the Frame,” by Kat Howard
- “Swift, Brutal Retaliation,” by Meghan McCarron
- Epic: Legends of Fantasy, edited by John Joseph Adams
- Three Messages and a Warning: Contemporary Mexican Short Stories of the Fantastic, edited by Eduardo Jiménez Mayo & Chris N. Brown
- Magic: An Anthology of the Esoteric and Arcane, edited by Jonathan Oliver
- Postscripts #28/#29: Exotic Gothic 4, edited by Danel Olson
- Under My Hat: Tales from the Cauldron, edited by Jonathan Strahan
- At the Mouth of the River of Bees, by Kij Johnson
- Where Furnaces Burn, by Joel Lane
- The Unreal and the Real: Selected Stories Volume One: Where on Earth and Volume Two: Outer Space, Inner Lands, by Ursula K. Le Guin
- Remember Why You Fear Me, by Robert Shearman
- Jagannath, by Karin Tidbeck
- Vincent Chong
- Didier Graffet & Dave Senior
- Kathleen Jennings
- J.K. Potter
- Chris Roberts
Special Award Professional:
- Peter Crowther & Nicky Crowther for PS Publishing
- Lucia Graves for the translation of The Prisoner of Heaven, by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
- Adam Mills, Ann VanderMeer, & Jeff VanderMeer for Weird Fiction Review
- Brett Alexander Savory & Sandra Kasturi for ChiZine Publications
- William K. Schafer for Subterranean Press
Special Award Non-Professional:
- Scott H. Andrews for Beneath Ceaseless Skies
- L. Timmel Duchamp for Aqueduct Press
- S.T. Joshi for Unutterable Horror: A History of Supernatural Fiction, Volumes 1 & 2
- Charles A. Tan for Bibliophile Stalker blog
- Jerad Walters for Centipede Press
- Joseph Wrzos for Hannes Bok: A Life in Illustration
- Susan Cooper
- Tanith Lee
On August 10, the Cincinnati Fantasy Group (CFG) held a vote on whether to continue to hold MidWestCon or end the convention after the 2014 event. Voting remained upon throughout the weekend and on Sunday evening, CFG President Bill Cavin announced that the vote had gone in favor of continuing to hold the 65 year old relaxacon. Despite the vote, CFG and MidWestCon still have to figure out how to deal with their shrinking membership and concom exhaustion in order to continue the event.
Westercon 68 will take place in San Diego the weekend of July 2-5, 2015 at the Town and Country. San Diego ran unopposed and received 92 votes out of the 110 cast (including 5 for no preference). The guests of honor will be Author: Spider Robinson; Artist: John Picacio; Fan: Seanan McGuire; and Special Guest: William F. Nolan.
The Board of Directors and Shareholders of Dragon Con / ACE, Inc.have announced that company will merge into Dragon Con, Inc. (Dragon Con) in a cash-out merger. The new organization is led by five of Dragon*Con’s six founders. The sixth founder, Ed Kramer, who was arrested in 2000 and has not been part of the operational structure of Dragon*Con for several years, was offered a cash buyout. Kramer’s attorney has stated that Kramer may sue over the new organization and his share.
Richard Matheson has announced that he will regretfully have to miss World Fantasy Convention
2013 because of ongoing health concerns. Matheson was named Honourary Guest of Honour for this year’s convention, which is scheduled to be held in Brighton, UK over the weekend of October 31-November 3. Matheson will remain a Honorary Guest of Honour at this year’s convention, and there will still be programming to celebrate his work.
LoneStarCon 3 has announced that three bids have filed the appropriate paperwork to host the 2015 Worldcon. Helsinki in 2015, Orlando in 2015, and Spokane in 2015 are running for the Worldcon. Detroit and Phoenix are both running to host NASFiC in 2014 when the Worldcon is being held in London. All Adult, Military, and Young Adult Attending and Supporting members of LoneStarCon 3 are eligible to take part in the site selection process.
The FAAN Awards were announced at Corflu XXX on May 5 in Portland, OR.
- Best Genzine: Chunga, edited by by Andy Hooper, Randy Byers, and carl juarez
- Best Personal Fanzine: A Meara for Observers, edited by Mike Meara
- Best Single Issue: Trapdoor #29, edited by Robert Lichtman
- Best Website: eFanzines.com
- Best Fanzine Cover: Dan Steffan, Banana Wings #50
- Best Fan Artist: Dan Steffan
- Best Fan Writer: Andy Hooper
- Harry Warner Jr. Memorial Award for Best Letterhack: Robert Lichtman
Pittsburgh convention Confluence 25 has been cancelled due to a lack of hotel. Confluence selected a new hotel this year after their previous hotel raised their rates. Unfortunately, the new hotel has announced plans to close four days before Confluence’s scheduled dates. A quick look was unable to find an available hotel, so the committee has cancelled this year’s event and plans to continue the convention in 2014.
For more information…
Denver fan Nick Vanover, who had been missing since Friday, April 19, when he was last seen at the Starfest convention in Denver, has been found. Nick was instrumental in working on Denver Comic Con in 2012.
Denver fan Nick Vanover has been missing since Friday, April 19, when he was last seen at the Starfest convention in Denver. Nick was instrumental in working on Denver Comic Con in 2012.