The winners of the 2014 Chronos Awards for excellence in SF, fantasy, and horror published in the Australian state of Victoria, were announced at Continuum X in Melbourne.
- Best Long Fiction: Gamers’ Rebellion, by George Ivanoff
- Best Short Fiction: No Award
- Best Artwork: Rules of Summer, by Shaun Tan
- Best Fan Publication in any Medium: SF Commentary, edited by Bruce Gillespie
- Best Achievement: Gamers’ Rebellion book trailer, by Henry Gibbens
For more information…
Juanita Coulson won DUFF (the Down Under Fan Fund) over Aurora Celeste. Wright received 42 votes to Celeste’s 24. Wright will travel to Australia for Continuum X, the 53rd Australia national convention, to be held on June 6-9. Coulson previously planned to run for DUFF in 2012, but that year, voters elected to Hold Over Funds.
Hold Over Funds won this year’s DUFF contents, meaning nobody will travel to Australia later this month for the National Convention. When DUFF administrators John Hertz and David Cake announced a call for candidates, many fans expressed concern that there wouldn’t be enough time between the voting deadline and the beginning of the Australian con to make plans for a trip and advocated voting for Hold Over Funds. One of the two candidates, Murray Moore announced that he desired to have his votes counted for Hold Over Funds.
The final tally was
Hold Over Funds: 38 NA votes + 19 ANZ
Juanita Coulson: 24 NA votes + 1 ANZ
Murray Moore: 11 NA votes + 2 ANZ
John Hertz and David Cake, the DUFF administrators, have announced that this year’s Down Under Fan Fund (DUFF) race is now open for voting. The winner (may) travel to Continuum in Melbourne, Australia from June 8-11. Due to the late announcement of the race, there is only a fifteen day voting window and many past DUFF administrators are advocating that people vote for Hold Over Funds, stating that a winner announced in early June would not have time to properly plan a trip or buy tickets at a reasonable rate. One of the candidates, Murray Moore, has stated his intention of not traveling to Australia if he wins.
The candidates are:
- Juanita Coulson
- Murray Moore
A DUFF ballot may be downloaded from TAFF. (pdf)
The Down Under Fan Fund (DUFF) is looking for candidates for this year’s race to travel from North America to Australia to attend Continuum VIII in Melbourne from June 8-11, 2012. Candidates should contact either David Cake or John Hertz and have three North American nominators and two Australia/New Zealand nominators. Each candidate should also have a 100 word statement and be able to put up a $25 bond. The deadline for declaring candidacies is May 11. Send paper mail to John Hertz at 236 S. Coronado St., No. 409, Los Angeles, CA 90057, U.S.A. or Dave Cake at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The winners of the Chronos Awards, presented for science fiction in the Australian state of Victoria, were announced at Continuum 7 in Melbourne on June 10.
- Best Long Fiction: Madigan Mine, by Kirstyn McDermott
- Best Short Fiction: “Her Gallant Needs,” by Paul Haines
- Best Artwork: Australis Imaginarium cover, by Shaun Tan
- Best Fan Writer: Alexandra Pierce
- Best Fan Written Work: “Review: The Secret Feminist Cabal by Helen Merrick,” by Alexandra Pierce
- Best Fan Artwork: Continuum 6 Props, by Rachel Holkner
- Best Fan Publication: Live Boxcutters Doctor Who at AussieCon IV, by Josh Kinal and John Richards
- Best Achievement: Programming: AussieCon IV, by Sue Ann Barber and Grant Watson
For more information…