As previously noted, “Alison Barton, Samara Morgan, Gillian Polack, and Shay Telfer are this year’s candidates for GUFF, the Get-Up-and-Over Fan Fund. The winner of the race will travel from Autralasia to Europe for Loncon 3, next year’s Worldcon in London. GUFF is not limited by geography, so anyone may vote.” The ballot is now on-line, with voting set to end on June 9.
Alison Barton, Samara Morgan, Gillian Polack, and Shay Telfer are this year’s candidates for GUFF, the Get-Up-and-Over Fan Fund. The winner of the race will travel from Autralasia to Europe for Loncon 3, next year’s Worldcon in London. GUFF is not limited by geography, so anyone may vote.
The European Science Fiction Society has announced its board of directors for the 2013-14 year. ESFS was founded at the first Eurocon in 1972 and holds the event. In addition, the ESFS administers the European SF Awards. The 2013 Eurocon took place this past weekend. The 2014 Eurocon will be held in Dublin a week before Worldcon.
- Chair: Carolina Gomez Lagerlof (Sweden)
- Vice-chair: Saija Kyllonen (Finland)
- Treasurer: Vanja Kranjcevic (Croatia)
- Secretary: Garreth Kavanaugh (Ireland)
- Award Administrator: Bridget Wilkinson (UK)
Ireland beat out Romania to host Eurocon in 2014 by a vote tally of 61-16. The Irish committee, heaqded by James Shields, has selected the weekend following the likely 2014 London Worldcon for the convention, hoping to attract fans in the United Kingdom to come over to Ireland and lengthen their fannish vacation. Shamrokon will take place the weekend of August 22 at the Burlington Hotel in Dublin. Guests of Honor will include Seanan McGuire and Jim Fitzpatrick.
TAFF Administrators Steve Green and Brian & Anne Gray have announced this year’s slate of four candidates vying for the westbound trip from Europe to North America. The winner will attend Renovation, the 2011 Worldcon in Reno, Nevada. Anyone active in fandom may vote through March 12, 2011.
- Graham Charnock, nominated by Harry Bell, Sandra Bond, Rich Coad, Mike Meara, and Robert Lichtman;
- John Coxon, nominated by James Bacon, Claire Brialey, Chris Garcia, Dave Langford, and Steve
- Liam Proven, nominated by Bridget Bradshaw, Lillian Edwards, Nic Farey, Lloyd Penney, and James Shields; and
- Paul Treadway, nominated by Vincent Docherty, Fran Dowd, Mike Glyer, Tim Illingworth, and Maureen Kincaid Speller.