French actor Pierre Tornade (b.1930) died on March 7. Tornade provided the voice of Obélix in several Asterisk films from 1985 to 1994 and before that provided other voices in the series. He also appeared in a television adaptation of Le passe-muraille.
French author Henri-Richard Bessière (b.1923) died on December 22. Bessière, who began publishing under the name F. Richard-Bessière and later went by Richard Bessière, was the first author published by Fleuve Noir’s Anticipation line in 1951 and proceeded to publish 98 titles between 1951 and 1985. Bessière wrote three major series for Anticipation, the Professor Béac books, the Sydney Gordon books, and the Harry Stewart books, as well as numerous stand-alone novels. His work was discussed in English in the recent volume The Anticipation Novelists of 1950s French Science Fiction, by Bradford Lyau.
French author Louis Thirion (b.1923) died on December 9. Thirion published his first novel, Waterloo, morne plaine in 1964 and continued to publish for more than 40 years. In addition to his novels, he also wrote radio plays. Beginning in 1968, most of his fiction was published by Fleuve Noir, including his Jord Maogan series, Les Stols, Les Whums se vengent, Ysée-A, Sterga la noire, and Le Secret d’Ipavar. His work was often focused on eco-disasters and was dystopian in nature. In the 2000s, he published three historical novels.
The nominees for the Prix Imaginales have been announced. The Prix Imaginales is presented at the Imaginales festival in Epinal, France and are a juried award.
- Rue Farfadet, by Raphaël Albert
- La Perle et l’enfant, by Paul Beorn
- Cytheriae, by Charlotte Bousquet
- Bankgreen, by Thierry Di Rollo
- Teliam Vore, by Raphaël Lafarge et Vincent Mondiot
- Rosée de feu, by Xavier Mauméjean
- Sans âme (Soulless), by Gail Carriger, translated by Sylvie Denis
- Le Sang des Ambrose (The Blood of Ambrose), by James Enge, translated by Marie Surgers
- Les Magiciens (The Magicians), by Lev Grossman, translated by Jean-Daniel Brèque
- Les Cent mille royaumes (The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms), by N. K. Jemisin, translated by Alexandra Maillard
- Lavinia, by Ursula K. Le Guin, translated by Marie Surgers
- Lamentation, by Ken Scholes, translated by Olivier Lebernard
- L’Apprentie de Merlin, by Fabien Clavel
- Le T’Sank, Le Cycle d’Alamänder, 1, by Alexis Famand
- Reckless, by Cornelia Funke, translated by Marie-Claude Auger
- Les Flibustiers du vent, Le Tempestaire, 2, by Johan Heliot
- Voraces, by Oisin McGann, translated by Patrick Imbert
- Vengeances, Marie des dragons, 2, by Ange, Thierry Desmarez
- The Unwritten, Entre les lignes 1, by Mike Carey, Peter Gross
- Ravermoon, by Sylvain Cordurié, Léo Pilipovic
- Le Chevalier errant, by Georges R.R. Martin, Ben Aavery, Mike S. Miller
- Le Gardien du temple, Rex Mundi, 1, by Arvid Nelson, Eric J.
- Benjamin Carré for the cover of Fils de l’ombre, by Juliette Marillier
- Xavier Collette for the cover of Narcogénèse, by Anne Fakhouri
- Elvire De Cock for the cover of Cytheriae, by Charlotte Bousquet
- Frédéric Perrin for the cover of Le Sang des Ambrose, by James Enge
- Marc Simonetti for the cover of Lamentation, by Ken Scholes
- “Raven Party,” by Nathalie Dau
- “Le Sang du large,” by Lionel Davoust
- “La Fin des cerisiers,” by Jean-Claude Dunyach
- “Deus Tex,” by Jack McDevitt
- “Le Pacha botté,” by Sylvie Miller and Philippe Ward
- “London Faerie Blitz,” by Yohan Vasse
Special Jury Award
- Le Grimoire de Korylfand, by Michel Borderie
- Le Légendaire des dragons, by Marie-Charlotte Delmas
- Nicolas Fructus for illustrating Kadath, le guide de la cité inconnue, by David Camus, Mélanie Fazi, Raphaël Granier de Cassagnac, and Laurent Poujois
- Les Livres du dimanche (The Sunday Books), by Michael Moorcock, Mervyn Lawrence Peake, translated by Liliane Sztajn
For more information… (French)
French director Claude Chabrol (b. 1930) died on September 12. Chabrol was part of France’s New Wave, directing films such as Le Boucher and La Femme Infidèle. He also delved into some genre work, with the science fiction film Dr. M and the horror movie Alice ou la dernière fugue. He also directed episodes of fantasy and horror television series Les redoutables and Fantômas.