Tokyo has banned the sale of manga that depicts rape, incest, and other sexual crimes to anyone under the age of 18. Anyone caught violating this rule faces a fine of ¥300,000 ($3,570). A group of publishers has threatened to boycott the Tokyo International Anime Fair in March 2011 over what they see as an attempt at censorhip.
Producer Yoshinobu Nishizaki (b. Hirofumi Nishizaki, 1934) died on November 7 after falling overboard off the coast of Chichijima Island. Nishizaki wrote and produced the anime series Space Cruiser Yamato, Star Blazers, and Space Battleship Yamato among others. He was wearing a wetsuit and was believed to be planning on going for a swim at the time of his accident.
Animator Satoshi Kon (b. 1963) died on August 24. Kon began drawing manga for Young magazine and eventually became an animator, working on films including Rojin Z and Memories. In 1998, he directed Perfect Blue. He was currently working on The Dream Machine.
The Seiun Award winners were announced in Japan the weekend of August 6. Traditionally, the awards for translated works are presented to the winners at Worldcon.
- Best Novel: Guin Saga series, by Kaoru Kurimoto
- Best Short Story: “Jisei no yume,” by Hirotaka Tobi
- Best Translated Novel: The Last Colony, by John Scalzi
- Best Translated Short Story: “Dark Integers,” by Greg Egan
- Best Dramatic Presentation: Summer Wars
- Best Graphic Novel: Pluto, by Naoki Urasawa, Osamu Tezuka, Takashi Nagasaki, and Makoto Tezuka
- Best Artist: Naoyuki Kato
- Best Non-Fiction: Nihon SF Seishin-shi, by Yasuo Nagayama
- Best SF-Related Activity: Gundam 30th Anniversary Project Real G the Statue of Gundam
- Special Prize: Takumi Shibano
Author Gene van Troyer (b.1950) died on July 18. Van Troyer not only wrote his own science fiction, but also worked to translate Japanese science fiction into English. His poetry appeared in numerous science fiction magazines and he was one-time editor of Star*Line. He first visited Japan as an exchange student in 1974 and has been living in Japan for the last several years.