SFWA has announced the expulsion of a member, who has identified himself as Theodore Beale (a.k.a. Vox Day). Beale, who has been a member of SFWA for more than a decade and sat on Nebula juries, ran for SFWA this past year, losing the election to Steven Gould, the organization’s current president. After Beale used a promotional blog maintained by SFWA to link to an attack on another SFWA member, Amal El-Mohtar called for his expulsion under section 10 of SFWA’s constitution. The SFWA announcement did not indicate Beale by name or refer to his offenses, but Beale announced his expulsion and included the SFWA Board report and his response on his website.
Catherynne Valente announced her resignation as the SFWA Eastern Regional Director on July 5. Valente explained that “personal circumstances have brought [her] to the realization that [she] cannot serve out the remainder of [her] term effectively.” New President Steven Gould has appointed E.C. Myers to complete Valente’s term in office. Valente has stated that she intends to remain active in the organization.
Jean Rabe has resigned as the editor of SFWA Bulletin. Rabe joined the Bulletin as its business manager during Russell Davis’s tenure and was promoted to editor after John Scalzi was elected president. Her resignation comes on the heels of a series of controversies concerning content of four consecutive issues. Even before Rabe resigned, Scalzi announced the formation of a task force to look at the Bulletin‘s content and purpose.
SFWA presented the 48th annual Nebula Awards in San Jose, CA on May 18. In addition to the Nebula Awards, SFWA also presented the Solstice Awards, the Kevin O’Donnell Service to SFWA Award, the Damon Knight Grand Master Award, the Andre Norton Award, and the Ray Bradbury Award.
- Best Novel: 2312, by Kim Stanley Robinson
- Best Novella: After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall, by Nancy Kress
- Best Novelette: “Close Encounters,” by Andy Duncan
- Best Short Story: “Immersion,” by Aliette de Bodard
- Andre Norton Award for Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy: Fair Coin, by E. C. Myers
- Ray Bradbury Award for Outstanding Dramatic Presentation: Beasts of the Southern Wild, written by Lucy Alibar and Benh Zeitlin, directed by Benh Zeitlin
- Solstice Award: Ginjer Buchanan and Carl Sagan
- Kevin J. O’Donnell Service to SFWA Award: Michael H. Payne
- Damon Knight Grand Master Award: Gene Wolfe
The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) has announced the results of their board election. The new board will be seated on July 1 and will serve a one year term. An * indicates that the person is an incumbent and was re-elected. A # indicates that a person was running unopposed.
- President: Steven Gould
- Vice President: Rachel Swirsky *#
- Secretary: Susan Forest
- Treasurer: Bud Sparhawk *#
- South/Central Regional Director: Lee Martindale*
- Overseas Regional Director: Tansy Rayner Roberts#
Robert Silverberg has been named the Toastmaster for this year’s Nebula Awards Weekend, scheduled to take place in San Jose, CA the weekend of May 17-19. Named an SFWA Grand Master in 2004, Silverberg is the author of Lord Valentine’s Castle, Dying Inside, and numerous other works of science fiction and fantasy.
Publishers Weekly has announced that Night Shade Books is in sale negotiations with Skyhorse Publishing and Start Publishing to sell its assets, including titles under contract. The press has had financial difficulties for several years, and recently let editor Ross Lockhart go. Several of their authors have also left the company. At the same time, SFWA, which has been working with Night Shade Books for several years, including a probationary period, has announced the press will be delisted as a qualifying market.
The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) have announced the nominees for the 2012 Nebula Awards, to be presented in San Jose, California during the 2013 Nebula Award Weekend on May 18. A tie for six place in the balloting resulted in seven nominees in the Novelette and Short Story categories. A four way tie for sixth place, plus the three additions by the jury for the Norton Award resulted in twelve nominees in that category.
- Throne of the Crescent Moon, by Saladin Ahmed
- Ironskin, by Tina Connolly
- The Killing Moon, by N.K. Jemisin
- The Drowning Girl, by Caitlín R. Kiernan
- Glamour in Glass, by Mary Robinette Kowal
- 2312, by Kim Stanley Robinson
- On a Red Station, Drifting, by Aliette de Bodard
- After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall, by Nancy Kress
- “The Stars Do Not Lie,” by Jay Lake
- “All the Flavors,” by Ken Liu
- “Katabasis,” by Robert Reed
- “Barry’s Tale,” by Lawrence M. Schoen
- “The Pyre of New Day,” by Catherine Asaro
- “Close Encounters,” by Andy Duncan
- “The Waves,” by Ken Liu
- “The Finite Canvas,” by Brit Mandelo
- “Swift, Brutal Retaliation,” by Meghan McCarron
- “Portrait of Lisane da Patagnia,” by Rachel Swirsky
- “Fade to White,” by Catherynne M. Valente
- “Robot,” by Helena Bell
- “Immersion,” by Aliette de Bodard
- “Fragmentation, or Ten Thousand Goodbyes,” by Tom Crosshill
- “Nanny’s Day,” by Leah Cypess
- “Give Her Honey When You Hear Her Scream,” by Maria Dahvana Headley
- “The Bookmaking Habits of Select Species,” by Ken Liu
- “Five Ways to Fall in Love on Planet Porcelain,” by Cat Rambo
- The Avengers
- Beasts of the Southern Wild
- The Cabin in the Woods
- The Hunger Games
- John Carter
- Iron Hearted Violet, by Kelly Barnhill
- Black Heart, by Holly Black
- Above, by Leah Bobet
- The Diviners, by Libba Bray
- Vessel, by Sarah Beth Durst
- Seraphina, by Rachel Hartman
- Enchanted, by Alethea Kontis
- Every Day, by David Levithan
- Summer of the Mariposas, by Guadalupe Garcia McCall
- Railsea, by China Miéville
- Fair Coin, by E.C. Myers
- Above World, by Jenn Reese
The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) has announced the members of the members of the 2012 Andre Norton Award Jury. The jury is tasked with adding books to the Andre Norton Award ballot. This year’s judges are listed below.
- Victoria McManus (chair)
- Christopher Barzak
- Merrie Haskell
- Eugene Myers
- Carrie Vaughn
The results of the SFWA Election of board members were announced at the Nebula Award Weekend. The winners will serve a one year term.
- President: John Scalzi
- Vice President: Rachel Swirsky
- Secretary: Ann Leckie
- Treasurer: Bud Sparhawk
- West Coast Representative: Jim Fiscus
- Canadian Representative: Matthew Johnson