After twenty years of editing Spectrum Fantastic Art Annual, Cathy and Arnie Fenner have announced their plans to turn the book over to John Fleskes, of Flesk Publications, with volume 21. Fleskes will handle the judging process and publication of the annual book.
Spectrum Fantastic Art has announced that will be offering a scholarship to send an artist to the Illustration Master Class at Amherst College in Massachusetts from June 9th-15th. Organized by Rebecca Guay, the week includes faculty including Boris Vallejo, Julie Bell, Donato Giancola, Dan Dos Santos, Irene Gallo,
James Gurney, and Brom.
The winners of the annual Spectrum Art Awards were announced in Kansas City, MO on March 12. All the winners will be published later this year in Spectrum 18: The Best in Contemporary Fantastic Art as well works by this year’s Grand Master, who will be announced later.
- Gold: “Narco Americano,” by Ryohei Hase
- Silver: “The Fisherman’s Wife,” by Sam Weber
- Gold: “God’s War,” by David Palumbo
- Silver: “I Was a White Trash Zombie,” by Dan Dos Santos
- Gold: “A Flight of Angels,” by Rebecca Guay
- Silver: “Fables #96 Cover,” by Joao Ruas
- Silver: “Sleep,” by David Palumbo
- Gold: “Riven Earth,” by Kekai Kotaki
- Silver: “Legends of Norrath Elemental Pact,” by Tomasz Jedruszek
- Gold: “Giant Fisherman,” by David Meng
- Silver: “Wind Messenger,” by Akihito
- Gold: “Share One Planet,” by Android Jones
- Silver: “Redd Wing,” by Brom
- Gold: “Knight March,” by Richard Anderson
- Silver: “Mind Machine,” by Donato Giancola
- Gold: “Pandora,” by Rebecca Guay
- Silver: “Tigers Have Striped Skin, Not Just Striped Fur,” by Scott Brundage
- Silver: “White Heat,” by J.S. Rossbach
The Society of Illustrators at 128 East 63rd Street will host an exhibit in conjunction with the Spectrum art contest from September 1 through October 17. Spectrum was founded in 1993 and presents excellence in science fiction and fantasy art through a series of Hugo-nominated collections each year. A ticketed Opening reception will take place on September 11. The following day, the Society will host Art Out Loud 6 from 1pm to 5 pm featuring artists James Gurney, Sam Weber, Charles Vess, Donato Giancola, and Gregory Manchess. A portion of the proceeds from the Spectrum Exhibition will be donated to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Light the Night Walk in Dave Stevens’s memory.
The winners of the annual Spectrum Awards to recognize excellence in speculative fiction art have been announced. The winners will be published in the annual Spectrum collection later this year.
- Gold Award: Ryohei Hase (“Go Forward and Forward”/ client: Fightstar/Raw Power Management)
- Silver Award: Yuko Shimizu (“Little Red Polka Dots and Other Stories” /client: Microsoft UltimatePC)
- Gold Award: Petar MEesedzija (illustration for The Legend of Steel Bashaw / client: Zmaj, Novi Sad)
- Silver Award: Jean-Baptiste Monge (“Dunlee Darnan” / client: Au Bord des Continents…)
- Gold Award: Jon Foster (cover to Buffy the Vampire Slayer #14 / client: Dark Horse Comics)
- Silver Award: Aleksi Briclot (“Annihilation: Conquest #5″ / client: Marvel Entertainment, Inc.)
- Gold Award: Daniel Dociu (“Mole Tunnels” / client: ArenaNet/Guildwars)
- Silver Award: Kekai Kotaki (“Snow Battle” / client: ArenaNet/Guildwars)
- Gold Award: Akhito (“Elegant Medusa” / resin)
- Silver Award: David Meng (“Satyr’s Head” / polymer clay)
- Gold Award: Craig Elliott (“Damali Richards” / client: Devil’s Candy Store
- Silver Award: Nate van Dyke (“Pool Hall Brawl” / client: Juxtapoz Magazine)
- Gold Award: James Gurney (“Song In the Garden” / client: Maison D’Ailleurs)
- Silver Award: Jaime Jones (“Progenitus” / client: Wizards of the Coast)
- Gold Award: Jeremy Enecio (“Koi”)
- Silver Award: David Laub (“She’s Back”)