- "Catherine Crook de Camp: An Appreciation," Locus
- editor and translator, The Chronicle of Theophanes, University of Pennsylvania Press,
- "The Date of Composition of the Historia Syntomos of Patriarch
Nikephoros," Byzantina kai Metabyzantina, 4: Byzantine Studies in Honor of
Milton Anastos. Malibu, 1985. 91-94.
- Essay on writing How Few Remain, SFWA Bulletin
- with Mary D. Martin, Patricia Cabrera and Joseph F. Payne. The Green Book: A Manual
for School Districts on Developing Proposals for Special Funding. Los Angeles, 1984.
Realism, or, Oh My God, Not Another Movement," OtherRealms Fall
- "How I Do What I Do," SFWA Bulletin, Summer 1998
- "How the Worldwar Series Came to Be," ScF News: Crystal Tower
Issue 1, 8/95.
- The Immediate Successors of Justinian: A Study of the Persian Problem and of
Continuity and Change in Internal Secular Affairs in the Later Roman Empire During the
Reigns of Justin II and Tiberius II Constantine (A.D. 565-582), Unpublished
Dissertation, University of California 1977.
- "Hox in Box," The Bulletin, Spring 2000.
"Introduction," Charlemagne by Charles Lamb, 2001
- "Introduction," If the South Had Won the
Civil War, by MacKinlay Kantor, Tor 2001
Lest Darkness Fall & To Bring the Light, by L. Sprague de Camp & David
Drake, Baen 1996.
"Introduction," The Lost Continent: The Story
of Atlantis, by C.J. Cutcliffe Hyne, Bison Books, 2002.
- "Justin II's Observance of Justinian's Persian Treaty of 562," Byzantinische
Zeitschrift 76:2 (1983), pp.292-301.
- "L. Sprague de Camp: An Appreciation," Locus
- "Leigh Brackett," Lorelei of the Red Mist, by
Leigh Brackett, Haffner Press, 2007.
- editor, "Meeting with a King of Axum," Ancient African Civilizations:
Kush and Axum, edited by Stanley Burstein, Markus Weiner Publications, 1997.
- "Occam's Razor and The Subtle Knife,"
Navigating the Golden Compass, edited by Glenn Yeffeth, Benbella Books,
- "Perspectives on Hanukkah," "Hanukkah
Lights," National Public Radio, 12/9/01.
- "Poul Anderson," Locus 9/01.
- with Laura Turtledove, "Pros and Cons of Being a Writer Couple," SFWA
Bulletin Winter 1992.
- "The Ring and I," Meditations on Middle-Earth,
edited by Karen Haber, St. Martin's Press, 2001.
- with Geoffrey Landis and John Barnes, "Science: Looking Backward, One Must Be
as Forward Thinking As When Looking at the Future," Science Fiction Age,
- "Thank You," Requiem, edited by Yoji Kondo, Tor 1992.
- "This is Where I Came In," Imperium,
by Keith Laumer, Baen, 2005
- "The True Size of a Post-Justiniac Army," Byzantine
byzantines 10 (1983), 216-22.
- "Why I Write..." Publisher's Weekly,