Author Gary Brandner (b.1933) died on September 23 of esophogeal cancer. Brandford is best known for his horror novel The Howling, which was adapted to film in 1981. his novel Walkers was adapted for television as From The Dead Of Night. Other novels included Mind Grabber and Doomstalker.
Fan Elliot K. Shorter (b.1939) died from complications from cancer on October 1. In 1970, Shorter represented North America on a TAFF trip and also was the Fan Guest of Honor at that year’s Worldcon, Heicon. He helped run Suncon, as he was part of the 7 in ’77 Worldcon bid, which initially found a site in Orlando, but had to move to Miami when their original hotel went bankrupt and also participated in multiple hoax bids. He opened Merlin’s Closet, a used and rare sf bookstore, in Providence in 1979. Shorter tended to stand out in fannish circles as a 6’4″ tall ex-MP
marine and African-American.
The Eurocon Awards were presented in Kiev at this year’s Eurocon.
Hall of Fame:
- Best Author: Andrei Valentinov (Ukraine)
- Best Publisher: Shiko (Ukraine)
- Best Artist: Nikolai Redka (Ukraine)
- Best Promoter of Science Fiction: Istvan Burger (Hungary)
- Best Magazine: SFX (UK)
- Best Translator: Patrice and Viktoriya Lajoie (France)
- Grand Master: Terry Pratchett (UK)
- Grand Master: Iain Banks (UK)
Spirit of Dedication
- Best Artist: Katerina Bachilo (Russia)
- Best Dramatic Presentation: “Vash Vikhod” (Ваш выход – Your Move), “Raido” theatre (Ukraine)
- Best Website: Europa SF: scifiportal.eu (Romania)
- Best Fanzine: Fandango (Ukraine)
- Stefan Cernohuby (Austria)
- Ioana Visan (Romania)
- Aleksandra Davydova (Russia)
- Leonid Kaganov (Russia)
- Livia Hlavackova (Slovakia)
- Boris Georgiev (Georgia)
- Julia Novakova (Czech Republic)
- Oleg Silin (Ukraine)
- Martin Vavpotic (Slovenia)
- Anton Lik (Belarus)
The winners of the 2013 Fantasiknovelltävlingen (Fantastic Short Story Competition) were announced. The Fantasiknovelltävlingen has been running in Sweden since 2000 and is sponsored by SKRIVA, a writer’s list. First prize receives €100, with second prize receiving €50 and third receiving €30. Case prizes were donated by Novellmästarna.
- 1st Prize: “Den hängda mannen,” by Jonas Lejon
- 2nd Prize: “Intelligentare människor,” by Johannes Pinter
- 3rd Prize: “De dansande stjärnornas natt,” by Robert Warreback