Siobhan Duffey won the ISFiC Writer’s Contest with her story “Under the Hill.” The contest is sponsored by ISFiC in conjunction with Windycon. Duffey won a membership at Windycon, room nights, and $300. Her story was published in the con program book. This year’s contest was judged by Bill Fawcett, Roland Green, and Elizabeth Anne Hull.
The 2015 Jim Baen Memorial Writing Contest, sponsored by Baen Books and the National Space Society, has been announced. The contest is looking for stories which explore the promise of space exploration. The winner will be published as the featured story on the Baen Books main website and paid at the normal paying rates for professional stories and receive an award, membership to the 2015 International Space Development Conference, a year’s membership in the National Space Society, and a prize package containing various Baen Books and National Space Society merchandise. The contest is looking for short stories of no more than 8,000 words, that shows the near future (no more than about 50-60 years out) of manned space exploration.
The winners of the Baen Fantasy Adventure Award were announced at Gen Con. This is the first year the contest has been held and the fantasy contest compliments the science fiction contest Baen has run for several years. The winner’s work will be published on the Baen website with the winner receiving professional pay and a selection of Baen Books.
- Grand Price: “The Golden Knight,” by K. D. Julicher
- First Runner-Up: “Phoenix for the Amateur Chef,” by Scott Huggins
- Second Runner-Up: “The Girl with No Name,” by Travis Heermann
Gillian Polack was named the GUFF winner in a field that included a total of five competitors. Polack will travel to the United Kingdom to participate in Loncon 3 later this year.
The winners of the 2014 Jim Baen Memorial Writing Contest, sponsored by Baen Books and the National Space Society, have been announced. The contest looks for stories which explore the promise of space exploration. The winner will be published as the featured story on the Baen Books main website and paid at the normal paying rates for professional stories and receive an award, membership to the 2014 International Space Development Conference, a year’s membership in the National Space Society, and a prize package containing various Baen Books and National Space Society merchandise.
- Grand Prize: “Low Arc,” by Sean Monaghan
- 2nd Place: “Balance,” by Marina J. Lostetter
The gold and silver medal winners for this year’s Spectrum Awards were announced at Spectrum Fantastic Art Live, held in Kansas City, MO the weekend of May 9-11.
- Gold Advertising: “The Criterion Collection Lord of the Flies,” by Kent Williams
- Silver Advertising: “A Tiger Beer Chinese New Year,” by Victo Ngai
- Gold Books: The End of the Road, by Nicolas Delort
- Silver Book: Little Sambha and the Tiger with the Beautiful Purple Shoes with Crimson Soles, by Scott Gustafson
- Gold Comics: The Red Door, by Thomas Campi
- Silver Comics: Seasons, page 1, by Mark A. Nelson
- Gold Concept Art: “Refugees,” by Theo Prins
- Silver Concept Art: “John Carter Punches a Thark,” by Vance Kovacs
- Gold Dimensional: “Vertical Man-Tank, 1892,” by The Shiflett Bros.
- Silver Dimensional: “Hot Diggety Dog,” by Colin & Kristine Poole
- Gold Editorial: “The Insects of Love,” by Tran Nguyen
- Silver Editorial: “Hair Tree,” by Yuko Shimizu
- Gold Institutional: “Shared Eyewear,” by Bill Carman
- Silver Institutional: “Blacksea,” by Justin Sweet
- Gold Unpublished: “The Long Walk Home,” by Omar Rayyan
- Silver Unpublished: “Riding Horse on the Freezing Day,” by Yukari Masuike
- Grand Master Award: Iain McCaig
Juanita Coulson won DUFF (the Down Under Fan Fund) over Aurora Celeste. Wright received 42 votes to Celeste’s 24. Wright will travel to Australia for Continuum X, the 53rd Australia national convention, to be held on June 6-9. Coulson previously planned to run for DUFF in 2012, but that year, voters elected to Hold Over Funds.
Baen Books, in conjunction with Gen Con, has announced the creation of the Baen Fantasy Adventure Award. The annual award will be presented to an original work of epic fantasy, heroic fantasy, sword and sorcery, or contemporary fantasy no longer than 8,000 words. The inaugural submission period is May 1 through June 30 of 2014. The contest will be judged by the Baen staff with final judging by Larry Correia. The winner’s work will be published on the Baen website with the winner receiving professional pay and a selection of Baen Books.
For more information…
The winners of the grand prizes for the Writers/Illustrators of the Future Award were announced in Los Angeles at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. The contests were founded by L. Ron Hubbard to promote science fiction
- Writers of the Future: Randy Henderson for “Memories Bleed Beneath the Mask”
- Illustrators of the Future: Trevor Smith
Christopher Kastensmidt’s The Elephant and Macaw Banner and Orson Scott Card’s Intergalactic Medicine Show have announced the winner of the Hydra Competition to find the best sf short story published in Brazil during 2011 and 2012. Camila Fernandes’s story “The Other Bank of the River” was selected by Card and translated from Portuguese into English by Kastensmidt. It will appear in Orson Scott Card’s Intergalactic Medicine Show.