The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America have issued a new model magazine contract, based on existing magazine contracts as well as the needs of authors. The contracts team consisted primarily of Michael Capobianco, Jim Fiscus, and Ken Liu with feedback from John Joseph Adams, Michael Armstrong, Charles Coleman Finlay, Jeffrey Liss, and Jonathan Wall. They plan to release additional model contracts over the course of the next year.
The Science Fiction and Fantasy Authors of America (SFWA) will be holding a charity auction on Sunday, August 23 at Sasquan in the Spokane Convention Center Hall C – Guinan’s Place. Proceeds from the auction, which will include tuckerizations and critiques from Greg Bear, David Brin, Cory Doctorow, Alaya Dawn Johnson, Nancy Kress, Larry Niven, Mike Resnick, and John Scalzi, as well as an outgoing voicemail recording by Mary Robinette Kowal and a personalized insult from Neil Gaiman, among other items, will be available. The proceeds will go the the SFWA Givers Fund, which funds the SFWA Emergency Medical Fund, Legal Fund, and other SFWA grants. Ellen Klages will serve as auctioneer.
The Nebula Awards were presented on Saturday, June 6 at the Palmer House Hilton in Chicago during the Nebula Weekend celebrating the 50th anniversary of SFWA. The award ceremony was hosted by Nick Offerman. The Solstice, Grand Master, and Service Awards had all been previously announced. Reportage on this and other items has been delayed as the editor of SF Site News was chairing this year’s Nebula Weekend.
- Novel: Annihilation, by Jeff VanderMeer
- Novella: Yesterday’s Kin, by Nancy Kress
- Novelette: “A Guide to the Fruits of Hawai’i,” by Alaya Dawn Johnson
- Short Story: “Jackalope Wives,” by Ursula Vernon
- Ray Bradbury Award for Outstanding Dramatic Presentation: Guardians of the Galaxy, written by James Gunn and Nicole Perlman
- Andre Norton Award for Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy: Love Is the Drug, by Alaya Dawn Johnson
- 2015 Damon Knight Grand Master Award: Larry Niven
- Solstice Award: Joanna Russ (posthumous), Stanley Schmidt
- Kevin O’Donnell Jr. Service Award: Jeffry Dwight
The results of this year’s SFWA elections, the first to be governed by the new constitution, have been announced. Although SFWA board members will now serve for two year terms, some of this year’s elected board will only serve a single year in order to stagger some of the elections. An asterisk denotes an incumbent who was re-elected. The new board members take office on July 1.
- President: Cat Rambo
- Vice-President: M.C.A. Hogarth (one year term)
- Secretary: Susan Forest*
- Chief Financial officer: Bud Sparhawk* (one year term)
- Directors-at-large: Jennifer Brozek and Matthew Johnson*
Lee Martindale, Tansy Rayner Roberts, and Sarah Pinsker will continue in their multi-year terms as Directors-at-large.
For more information…
SFWA has announced that Nick Offerman, who portrayed Ron Swanson on Parks and Recreation will be the toastmaster at the 50th Nebula Award Ceremony, to be held at the Palmer House Hilton in Chicago on June 6. The Nebula Award weekend is open to anyone and will also feature a free mass autographing on Friday evening from 8:00-9:30.
For more information…
SFWA has announced that Joanna Russ and Stanley Schmidt will be this year’s recipients of the Solstice Awards at the 50th Nebula Award Weekend, to be held in Chicago from June 4-7. Russ is being honored as a fiction writer, mentor, teacher, editor, and critic. Schmidt is being recognized for his 34 years as editor of Analog.
For more information…
SFWA has announced that Larry Niven will be named the Damon Knight Grand Master. Niven began publishing in 1964 with “The Coldest Place” and has won the Nebula Award, multiple Hugo Awards, the Ditmar, Seiun, and Prometheus Awards.
In addition, SFWA has announced that Jeffry Dwight will receive the Kevin O’Donnell, Jr. Service to SFWA Award. Through his hosting of SFWA’s web presence from the shutdown of GEnie in 1999 until the launch of SFWA’s new website a couple of year’s ago, Dwight helped keep SFWA’s internet presence going, providing connections for many members, and provided assistance for SFWA to modernize on the internet.
The award will be presented at the 50th Annual Nebula Awards Weekend, Palmer House Hilton in Chicago, Illinois, June 4 through 7, 2015.
Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) has announced the nominees for this year’s Nebula Awards, Norton Award, and Bradbury Award. All of the awards will be presented at the annual Nebula Award Weekend Banquet in Chicago, IL on June 6. All SFWA Active members may vote for the Nebulas from March 1 through March 31. This year’s 50th Nebula Award will take place at Chicago’s Palmer House from June 4-7.
- The Goblin Emperor, by Katherine Addison
- Trial by Fire, by Charles E. Gannon
- Ancillary Sword, by Ann Leckie
- The Three-Body Problem, by Cixin Liu, translated by Ken Liu
- Coming Home, by Jack McDevitt
- Annihilation, by Jeff VanderMeer
- We Are All Completely Fine, by Daryl Gregory
- Yesterday’s Kin, by Nancy Kress
- “The Regular,” by Ken Liu
- “The Mothers of Voorhisville,” by Mary Rickert
- Calendrical Regression, by Lawrence Schoen
- “Grand Jeté (The Great Leap),” by Rachel Swirsky
- “Sleep Walking Now and Then,” by Richard Bowes
- “The Magician and Laplace’s Demon,” by Tom Crosshill
- “A Guide to the Fruits of Hawai’i,” by Alaya Dawn Johnson
- “The Husband Stitch,” by Carmen Maria Machado
- “We Are the Cloud,” by Sam J. Miller
- “The Devil in America,” by Kai Ashante Wilson
- “The Breath of War,” by Aliette de Bodard
- “When It Ends, He Catches Her,” by Eugie Foster
- “The Meeker and the All-Seeing Eye,” by Matthew Kressel
- “The Vaporization Enthalpy of a Peculiar Pakistani Family,” by Usman T. Malik
- “A Stretch of Highway Two Lanes Wide,” by Sarah Pinsker
- “Jackalope Wives,” by Ursula Vernon
- “The Fisher Queen,” by Alyssa Wong
Ray Bradbury Award for Outstanding Dramatic Presentation
- Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance), Written by Alejandro G. Iñárritu, Nicolás Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris, Jr., & Armando Bo
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Screenplay by Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely
- Edge of Tomorrow, Screenplay by Christopher McQuarrie and Jez Butterworth and John-Henry Butterworth
- Guardians of the Galaxy, Written by James Gunn and Nicole Perlman
- Interstellar, Written by Jonathan Nolan and Christopher Nolan
- The Lego Movie, Screenplay by Phil Lord & Christopher Miller
Andre Norton Award for Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy
- Unmade, by Sarah Rees Brennan
- Salvage, by Alexandra Duncan
- Love Is the Drug, by Alaya Dawn Johnson
- Glory O’Brien’s History of the Future, by A.S. King
- Dirty Wings, by Sarah McCarry
- Greenglass House, by Kate Milford
- The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender, by Leslye Walton
The Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) has announced the opening of membership to self-published authors. With 1/3 the membership voting, more than 85% of the voting members chose to include self-published members. SFWA will apply the same income level to self-published authors, but allow authors to use a combination of advances and income earned over a twelve month period for qualification. The new qualification requirements, which will also make it easier for authors published by small and independent presses to join, will go into effect on March 1.
For more information…
SFWA presented the 50th annual Nebula Awards in San Jose, CA on May 18. In addition to the Nebula Awards, SFWA also presented the Kevin O’Donnell Service to SFWA Award, the Damon Knight Grand Master Award, the Andre Norton Award, and the Ray Bradbury Award.
- Best Novel: Ancillary Justice, by Ann Leckie
- Best Novella: The Weight of the Sunrise, by Vylar Kaftan
- Best Novelette: “The Waiting Stars,” by Aliette de Bodard
- Best Short Story: “If You Were a Dinosaur, My Love,” by Rachel Swirsky
- Andre Norton Award for Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy: Sister Mine, by Nalo Hopkinson
- Ray Bradbury Award for Outstanding Dramatic Presentation: Gravity, written by Alfonso Cuarón and Jonás Cuarón, directed by Alfonso Cuarón
- Kevin J. O’Donnell Service to SFWA Award: Michael Armstrong
- Damon Knight Grand Master Award: Samuel R. Delany