The 2008 Sidewise Awards will be presented at Anticipation, the 67th Worldcon, to be held in Montreal, Canada from August 6-10, 2009. The Sidewise Awards for Alternate History were established in 1995 to recognize excellence in alternate history fiction.
- “A Brief Guide to Other Histories,” Paul J. McAuley
- “G-Men,” by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
- “Night Bird Soaring,” by T.L. Morganfield
- “The People’s Machine,” by Tobias Buckell
- “Poison Victory,” by Albert E. Cowdrey
- “Sacrifice,” by Mary Rosenblum
- The Affinity Bridge, by George Mann
- The Dragon’s Nine Sons, by Chris Roberson
- Half a Crown, by Jo Walton
- Nation, by Terry Pratchett
- Swiftly, by Adam Roberts
Baen Books has announced that following in the footsteps of former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, former Vice-President Dick Cheney has signed to write an alternate history. Cheney’s novel, tentatively entitled The Fall of America, is described as an alternate history dystopia about a Gore presidency and the aftermath of the attacks of September 11, 2001. Publication is expected in 2010.