The Horror Writers of America (HWA) have announced that William F. Nolan has been named a Grand Master. Nolan will be honored at the World Horror Convention in Atlanta, GA the weekend of May 7-10. Nolan has been widely published and has written film and television screenplays. He may be best known for the novel Logan’s Run and his short fiction has been collected in more than a dozen collections. Nolan has received Bram Stoker Awards and has been named an Author Emeritus by SFWA.
SFWA presented the 48th annual Nebula Awards in San Jose, CA on May 18. In addition to the Nebula Awards, SFWA also presented the Solstice Awards, the Kevin O’Donnell Service to SFWA Award, the Damon Knight Grand Master Award, the Andre Norton Award, and the Ray Bradbury Award.
- Best Novel: 2312, by Kim Stanley Robinson
- Best Novella: After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall, by Nancy Kress
- Best Novelette: “Close Encounters,” by Andy Duncan
- Best Short Story: “Immersion,” by Aliette de Bodard
- Andre Norton Award for Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy: Fair Coin, by E. C. Myers
- Ray Bradbury Award for Outstanding Dramatic Presentation: Beasts of the Southern Wild, written by Lucy Alibar and Benh Zeitlin, directed by Benh Zeitlin
- Solstice Award: Ginjer Buchanan and Carl Sagan
- Kevin J. O’Donnell Service to SFWA Award: Michael H. Payne
- Damon Knight Grand Master Award: Gene Wolfe
Author Jack Ketchum (a.k.a. Dallas Mayr) has been named Grand Master by the World Horror Convention, scheduled to take place this year from April 28-May 1 in Austin, Texas. Ketchum has won numerous Stoker Awards for his novels and stories, which include Peaceable Kingdom and Closing Time.