The Man Booker Shortlist has been announced and includes a novel by a science fiction author. This is the first year the award has included North American eligibility and Karen Joy Fowler is one of two Americans to make the short list for her novel We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves. The Man Booker is considered one of the most prestigious awards in the literary world. The winner will be announced on October 14. This year’s panel of judges includes AC Grayling, Jonathan Bate, Sarah Churchwell, Daniel Glaser, Alastair Niven, and Erica Wagner.
- To Rise Again at a Decent Hour, by Joshua Ferris
- The Narrow Road to the Deep North, by Richard Flanagan
- We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves, by Karen Joy Fowler
- J, by Howard Jacobson
- The Lives of Others, by Neel Mukherjee
- How to Be Both, by Ali Smith