A group of fans have announced that they will bid to host the Worldcon in 2017 in Montreal, Canada. Japan has already announced a bid for that year. The last Japanese Worldcon was Nippon in 2007. The last Montreal Worldcon was Anticipation in 2009.
LucasFilm has announced that a new Star Wars exhibit, Star Wars: Identities, will open at the Montréal Science Centre on April 19, 2012. The interactive exhibit will examine the biological and social forces which determine identity and will also include numerous iconic props and costumes for the Star Wars series.
The Hugo Awards were announced at Anticipation on August 9. This year’s base, a granite asteroid with inset maple-leaf flames, was designed by Seattle artist Dave Howell and was one of the heaviest bases ever created. The Hugo Logo Design Contest was won by Jeremy Kratz of Little Rock, Arkansas. It was selected from more than 390 entries from 24 countries. The John W. Campbell Award, which is not a Hugo, was also presented at the ceremony.
- Best Novel: The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman
- Best Novella: “The Erdmann Nexus,” by Nancy Kress
- Best Novelette: “Shoggoths in Bloom,” by Elizabeth Bear
- Best Short Story: “Exhalation,” by Ted Chiang
- Best Related Book: Your Hate Mail Will Be Graded: A Decade of Whatever, by John Scalzi
- Best Graphic Story: Girl Genius, Volume 8: Agatha Heterodyne and the Chapel of Bones, by Kaja and Phil Foglio, art by Phil Foglio, colour by Cheyenne Wright
- Best Dramatic Presentation-Long Form: WALL-E, story by Andrew Stanton and Pete Docter, screenplay by Andrew Stanton & Jim Rearson, directed by Andrew Stanton
- Best Dramatic Presentation-Short Form: Doctor Horrible’s Sing-A-Long Blog, written by Joss Whedon, Zack Whedon, Jed Whedon, and Maurisssa Tancharoen, directed by Joss Whedon
- Best Editor, Long Form: David G. Hartwell
- Best Editor, Short Form: Ellen Datlow
- Best Professional Artist: Donato Giancola
- Best Semiprozine: Weird Tales, edited by Ann VanderMeer & Stephen H. Segal
- Best Fanzine: Electric Velocipede, edited by John Klima
- Best Fan Writer: Cheryl Morgan
- Best Fan Artist: Frank Wu
- John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer: David Anthony Durham